ADABOX 10 - Neotrellis PowerWheels Headlights A-go-go!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gust0208

ADABOX 10 - Neotrellis PowerWheels Headlights A-go-go!

Post by gust0208 »

Hello everyone,

As a family, my daughters and I have greatly enjoyed the Adabox sets. With the Adabox #10, we used the Neotrellis M4 to drive some neopixel rings for their Power Wheels Jeep (modified to use a ~22.5v battery and upgraded motors / gear ratios)! Using a voltage drop down, the Neotrellis is run off the 22.5v battery. The neotrellis code uses most of the buttons to select the color of the headlights, the upper right button shows the current selected color and when presses will cycle through some preset intensities (i.e. high beams) and the no-color buttons turn the headlights off.

I will post a few pics below, and if anyone is interested, I can post the code and more details on the wiring. Great fun and now my daughters LOVE to go driving at dusk.
powerwheels1.PNG
powerwheels1.PNG (128.42 KiB) Viewed 285 times
powerwheels2.PNG
powerwheels2.PNG (111.29 KiB) Viewed 285 times

bitflung

Re: ADABOX 10 - Neotrellis PowerWheels Headlights A-go-go!

Post by bitflung »

very cool!

I'm interested in what mods were required to run from a 22.5v battery and where you got such a battery from? Seems an odd voltage to me so I'm curious.
My son has a jeep powerwheels that i've been dreaming of modding for years - he's nearly grown out of it but my daughter is just coming into the right age (nearly 3yo now) so my dreams are still alive. I "modded" her smaller 6v off-brand car by just adding a wiring harness for a regular 12v powerwheels battery - it ran fine with no other changes. I'm guessing that at higher voltages you likely had to do something more than just swap the battery though?

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

Awesome use of the NeoTrellis M4 in the dashboard!

gust0208

Post by gust0208 »

bitflung wrote:very cool!

I'm interested in what mods were required to run from a 22.5v battery and where you got such a battery from? Seems an odd voltage to me so I'm curious.
My son has a jeep powerwheels that i've been dreaming of modding for years - he's nearly grown out of it but my daughter is just coming into the right age (nearly 3yo now) so my dreams are still alive. I "modded" her smaller 6v off-brand car by just adding a wiring harness for a regular 12v powerwheels battery - it ran fine with no other changes. I'm guessing that at higher voltages you likely had to do something more than just swap the battery though?
Hello!

I am using a lithium polymer battery pack used for RC vehicles and they come in set voltages based on the number of cells in series. I am using a 6S battery with a nominal voltage of 22.2v, but you can roughly consider it as a "24v" battery. They are nice for size and density, mine is a 6000 mAh capacity.

For the voltage drop down, I am using an adjustable buck converter. It only goes up to 3 amps, so I may upgrade this component to allow 4-5 amps in the future as I eye some of the 32x64 LED panels to make a fancy license plate (plan for a bluetooth Feather to allow for on the fly text changes) for the power wheels.

Our power wheels was the Jeep version, came as a 12v stock. We have had great fun after going to the ~24v lithium polymer battery and I upgraded the motors / gear ratios for 24v. I can share the motors / gearboxes that I used and were not too hard to make fit in our power wheels.

The torque is impressive, my girls can pop wheelies and is a source of great enjoyment.

Cheers,
Tom

gust0208

Post by gust0208 »

johnpark wrote:Awesome use of the NeoTrellis M4 in the dashboard!
Thank you! I am working with the Adabox 011 PyPortal to make a touch screen music player for the power wheels next.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”