Help with MakeCode Arcade? x/y movement not working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Help with MakeCode Arcade? x/y movement not working

by ecc35 on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Hi everyone! I've put my PyGamer together, and after a few rounds of shipping with DigiKey, I decided to try some example games from MakeCode Arcade. I've tried downloading a couple of examples -- Caterpillar and Level Up -- onto my PyGamer, but for some reason, I can't move the sprite using the joystick on the PyGamer, although it works fine on the browser. Has anyone else seen this and know how to fix it? Thanks!

ecc35

Re: Help with MakeCode Arcade? x/y movement not working

by CliffsDover on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:52 am

Using beta version of MakeCode Arcade should fix this issue

http://arcade.makecode.com/beta

CliffsDover

by Powderjockey on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:36 pm

ecc35 wrote:Hi everyone! I've put my PyGamer together, and after a few rounds of shipping with DigiKey, I decided to try some example games from MakeCode Arcade. I've tried downloading a couple of examples -- Caterpillar and Level Up -- onto my PyGamer, but for some reason, I can't move the sprite using the joystick on the PyGamer, although it works fine on the browser. Has anyone else seen this and know how to fix it? Thanks!

My joystick seems to do nothing at all. Nothing moves after building the arcade with the MakeCode tutorial. Works as you say in the browser, but nothing in the PyGamer. Downloaded and installed Arcade-Chicken-Run and the chicken does not move.

Pressing the "Select" button brings up a menu and the joystick does not scroll the highlighted bar up or down.

Powderjockey

by johnpark on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:12 pm

Thumbstick on PyGamer is now working in the live version of MakeCode, so you won't need to use Beta for this anymore. You may want to force refresh the browser page to make sure you get the latest version loaded up.

Once you connect the PyGamer, go to the Settings > Change Board menu item in MakeCode Arcade and then choose PyGamer from the board list.

From there, either download the game and drag onto PyGamer in bootload mode, or use WebUSB to pair the board and upload directly.

johnpark

by Powderjockey on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:26 pm

John,

Mine still shows 'beta' in the upper left hand corner of the web page. I hit refresh numerous times with no difference. I downloaded chicken-run again and placed on the PyGamer with the same results. Using FF and Opera browsers.

Powderjockey

by johnpark on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Ah, there is a terrifically confusing thing going on currently -- all of MakeCode Arcade is considered a "beta" so that's what the graphic in the corner refers to. So long as you are using the url arcade.makecode.com and not arcade.makecode.com/beta you are using the "live"/"release" version. Confusing I know.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.25.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 8.25.34 PM.png (46.88 KiB) Viewed 193 times

The other thing to try is Chrome browser, as it is the preferred browser for MakeCode. Microsoft are working on getting it up to speed on Edge as well, but currently I'd stay away from Firefox and Opera when using MakeCode.

johnpark

by devinganger on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:27 am

johnpark wrote:The other thing to try is Chrome browser, as it is the preferred browser for MakeCode. Microsoft are working on getting it up to speed on Edge as well, but currently I'd stay away from Firefox and Opera when using MakeCode.

For those of us who love Edge, would using the Edge Chromium beta work okay? I like it so much it's my primary browser on all my machines (including my Mac mini...)

devinganger

by johnpark on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 am

It's worth a try! I heard from one user about a SecurityError they're getting using the latest version of Edge, so YMMV. I don't know much about Edge, so I'm not sure if that's the same as the Edge Chromium beta you mentioned.

johnpark

by Powderjockey on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:11 pm

OK, got back to this problem today and with the use of the Chrome Browser, redownloaded Chicken_Run and placed it on the device. The X/Y moves the chicken around the road.

Can you explain why the difference in the browsers, why it fails one download and not the other?

Thanks

Scott

Powderjockey

by johnpark on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Glad that worked. I don't know about the intricacies of what is different between the browsers, only that there is so much sophisticated stuff going on in the background to make this all work that the Microsoft MakeCode team has to target one browser at first. I believe they're also working to bring Edge browser up to speed at some point.

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.