Adabox 012 - PyGamer Missing Button & Analog Stiick Not Work
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adabox 012 - PyGamer Missing Button & Analog Stiick Not Work

by klinstifen on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 am

I received my Adabox 012 last week and the start button was missing; it looks like it popped off at some point because part of the button's feet were still attached.

I thought this wouldn't be a big deal as I have extra small buttons lying around so I soldered one on and powered up the unit. But, once the PyGamer was online I noticed that the analog stick was not working. I cannot move in any direction, not even within the 'select' menu.

Are the start button and analog stick related someone how or did my luck run out and my PyGamer arrived doubly damaged?

klinstifen

Re: Adabox 012 - PyGamer Missing Button & Analog Stiick Not

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Sounds like maybe shipping damage? Did you happen to find the broken off button anywhere?

That's awesome you just went for a DIY fix. Can you post photos of the repair job. Actually, just a photo of the entire front of the board. Maybe something else got damaged as well. We can take a look.

There's a handy hardware checkout program you can grab from here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pyg ... duino-test
Don't worry about it mentioning Arduino. You can just grab the UF2 from there and drag it to your PYGAMERBOOT folder.

adafruit_support_carter

by klinstifen on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:17 pm

Well this is promising - the Start button and the analog stick both work with the PYGAMER_TEST file. Maybe I'm missing something when moving over code from MakeCode?

Also is attached my "repair"; I didn't have the same type of button but a smaller momentarily-on button which works according to this test UF2 file.

IMG_1843.JPG
IMG_1843.JPG (483.58 KiB) Viewed 146 times

klinstifen

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:27 pm

I think the joystick can be explained by the general new-ness of MakeCode Arcade. Support for the analog joystick (as opposed to the four direction buttons like PyBadge) has only recently been added and you needed to use the beta version for it to work:
https://arcade.makecode.com/beta
**BUT** This also may change very soon to where you can just use the regular version. It's just a matter of them releasing it.

The START button should just work though. Nothing fancy there. Just a button. How are you trying to use it in MakeCode? Can you publish/share your code and link it here.

adafruit_support_carter

by klinstifen on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:36 pm

I think we are all good. I reloaded the 'space destroyer' game and the analog stick works. And since the start button is detected with the testing UF2 file I'm sure it's my code.

Thanks for providing the link!

klinstifen

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.