PyGamer Arduino no display
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PyGamer Arduino no display

by JimBailey on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Adabox 12 pyGamer: Arduino arcada_pygamer_test sketch fails to write anything to the pyGamer screen, although it seems to be running the sketch (neopixels cycle, tap gets sound, etc.) The python version installed via uf2 seems to run fine, however. So I'm guessing its not a hardware problem. I tried other Arduino sketches, but no luck writing to the pyGamer screen. Libraries and board manager are all installed correctly (double-checked them.) Any ideas?

JimBailey

Re: PyGamer Arduino no display

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Try going through all your Arduino libraries and making sure they are all up to date to latest versions.

adafruit_support_carter

by JimBailey on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks for the prompt response, but I did check that all libraries are the latest version presented in the Arduino library manager. No messages when compiling. Are there particular ones that would affect accessing the pyGamer screen?

JimBailey

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:50 pm

The GFX stuff is fairly interconnected with the libraries. So any one of them being behind could have this affect. It will compile and load fine, and also run. It just won't be functional.

Just to make double sure your hardware is OK, if you load this UF2, it all checks out?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pyg ... duino-test

And this is the sketch you are trying to load and run?
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ar ... gamer_test

adafruit_support_carter

by JimBailey on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:54 pm

I seem to have gotten it working in Arduino. I had selected the pyGamer board as "pyGamer Advance m4": nothing worked, so I tried "pyGamer Express m4" and the sketches started drawing to the screen! I do get a number of messages during compile: "GFX DMA IS ENABLED. HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL." Is this OK?

JimBailey

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Ah, that'll do it. Wrong board. Yep, the PyGamer Advance is something different and not even out yet :)

You can generally ignore those messages. I saw them too and they are warnings, not errors. So as long as it's working, then all good.

adafruit_support_carter

by ejb on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Well, I'm having exactly the same problem with the 'arcada_pygamer_test sketch' that JimBaily described. I've made certain that all of the libraries and board manager files are correct and updated to the current versions. I've tried every single one of the Adafruit M4(SAMD51) boards and none will compile, not even pyGamer Express m4 which ultimately worked for JimBaily. Anyone have any idea what might be going wrong????

ejb

by ejb on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 am

I was able to find a solution to not being able to get the 'arcada_pygamer_test sketch' to compile and load to my Pygamer dev board. I made an empty Arduino libraries folder and downloaded just the libraries required to get the Arcada sketches to work. Apparently there was a conflicting library in my rather bloated libraries folder, although I'm not able to determine which file or files were causing the problem. The minimalist library folder works fine.

ejb

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.