PYGAMER Screen Stopped Working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PYGAMER Screen Stopped Working

by dleatherbee on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 am

Hi there! I just received my first Adabox and am so excited to get designing video game levels! I ran into a bit of trouble however, as once I hooked up the battery and speaker, I turned on the pygamer and saw/heard the pre-designed game. I played for a bit and then plugged in the pygamer to charge. The next day I went to play around with it and the screen is completely black and I don't hear any sound. I can't get any reaction from the screen or speaker now. Did I do something wrong? can you help?

Order Number: 2077796

dleatherbee

Re: PYGAMER Screen Stopped Working

by johnpark on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Are you seeing any on-board LEDs light up when you power it on from USB?

johnpark

by dleatherbee on Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Yes the LEDs on the front are all lighting up, but there's no screen activity

dleatherbee

by johnpark on Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:44 pm

With it plugged into a computer with a known good USB data cable (not power only charging cable) can you press the reset button once on the PyGamer and get the bootloader drive to show up on your computer?

johnpark

by dleatherbee on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:57 am

Yes! Ok when I plugged it in the screen did come on to display "PyGamer v3.6.0"

dleatherbee

by johnpark on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:07 pm

OK, that's good. Now, try downloading and installing the Digi-Key Order Shipper game that was meant to ship on your PyGamer: https://learn.adafruit.com/adabox012/troubleshooting

johnpark

by dleatherbee on Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:24 pm

That did it! thank you so much for your help!!! Back to building!

dleatherbee

by HDrMe on Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:19 pm

I have the same situation of a blank screen, but nothing seems to work as listed above. I have a black screen with the row of leds all red and nothing happens whether plugged into my mac or my chromebook and pressing reset has now affect and I don't see the PYGamer as a drive. On the bottom I have a red flashing led and the amber led comes on solid when I power cycle it and then goes out in a minute or so. The PYGamer is from my Adabox12

HDrMe

by johnpark on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Please try plugging PyGamer into your computer with a few different USB cables to rule that out. A power only charging cable won't allow the PyGamer to get into bootloader mode.

johnpark

by HDrMe on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Darn it, I know there is a difference and had tried 3 different cables before posting this, but I'm embarrassed to say they were all charge-only cables. I tried one I had used on my Circuit Playground Express and as you can guess...it's working now. When I copied the game to it, it ran fine. I'm sorry for the post, but will now label a few cables as data capable so it doesn't happen again. I'll just use a silver Sharpie. Thanks again.

HDrMe

by johnpark on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Charge only cables are the worst! Glad you're up and running now.

johnpark

by Carlossolrac on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 pm

I got my pygamer installed in the case, it was working great, I plugged it into my mac with a known good cable and uploaded the newest .uf2 file to it via USB

adafruit-circuitpython-pygamer_advance-en_US-4.1.0-beta.1.uf2

now when I turn it on the red "d13" LED blinks steadily but nothing else happens. The amber charging light does come on.

nothing on the screen and no other LED's come on. I can't get it to show up as a USB drive on my mac anymore either.

Carlossolrac

by johnpark on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:23 am

If you're able to get it to show up as the PYGAMERBOOT drive, could you try to update to this latest bootloader: https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/ ... v3.7.0.uf2

You may need to plug it into a different USB port, or even restart your computer, and then press reset to try to get the bootloader drive to show up again. Or try on a different computer.

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.