PyGamer button A failure
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PyGamer button A failure

by jettman on Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi Adafruit,

I really loved this ADABOX project the most. I had fun with the installed DigiKey game and then installed the NES emulator.

After a few minutes of play, the A button stopped clicking and presses refused to be acknowledged by the PyGamer. I looked for anything interfering with it and didn't see anything. I kept pressing it and it started making a slight clicky feel but was not sensed by the controller. I took it out of the case and measured the voltage across it. It was 3.72 volts and didn't change when the button was pressed. The B button measured the same but the voltage went to 0 when pressed. I used some DustOff to make sure noting was in it but all my attempts to recover it failed.

This seems to be a similar problem that PDXMike had in an earlier post except mine worked for a while before failing. I made this a separate post because I was worried it wouldn't be seen if it was a reply to the other post.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

jettman

Re: PyGamer button A failure

by johnpark on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Sorry to hear it. Could you verify that with this test sketch running the button doesn't trigger the on-screen graphic: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pyg ... duino-test

johnpark

by jettman on Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

Here is a link to a video that shows it running the test sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsNa_8-a5uo

Hopefully you can hear the clicking sounds of the buttons as they are depressed. Button A clicks but doesn't show up in the test screen.

Thanks for the assistance.

jettman

by johnpark on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:25 pm

OK, thanks. Could you please post a high quality photo of the back side of the board? I believe we've seen one case of a bad solder joint on the IC that deals with button presses.

johnpark

by jettman on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:02 pm

Here are photos of the back, front and the buttons:

PyGamerBack.jpg
PyGamerBack.jpg (858.72 KiB) Viewed 136 times

PyGamerFront.jpg
PyGamerFront.jpg (755.69 KiB) Viewed 136 times

PyGamerbuttons.jpg
PyGamerbuttons.jpg (503.1 KiB) Viewed 136 times

As I mentioned in the first post, I was able to measure the voltage across the pins on both buttons and it was 3.72 volts. When button A is pressed, nothing happens. When button B is pressed, the voltage drops to zero and the press is displayed on the test screen.

Just now I took a breadboard jumper wire and touched across the leads of the button. When connected, the display lights up the circle for button A.

jettman

by johnpark on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:10 pm

My bad, your original post should have clued me in that it was a bad button. Please email support@adafruit.com and ask for a replacement PyGamer to be sent to you, referencing this forum post. If you can include your original order number that would be great. Thank you!

johnpark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.