Problems with PyPortal from Adabox 011
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problems with PyPortal from Adabox 011

by tslagle on Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:02 pm

I just got around to putting together the PyPortal from Adabox 011 and am having problems getting it working. When I plug in a USB cable nothing happens - screen stays dark. If I press the reset button once the red LED by the USB turns on and off, but nothing shows on the screen. If I double-click the reset, the back Neopixel turns on white and the red LED ramp up and down, but nothing on the display. I've tried stand-alone power supplies and PC USB ports and multiple cables. When plugged in to the PC, no drive ever shows up so I can't update code or firmware.

It seems like my PyPortal board is broken, how might I go about getting a replacement? Thanks!

tslagle

Re: Problems with PyPortal from Adabox 011

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Are you using the USB cable that came in the Adabox?

This sounds like what can happen with a charge only USB cable.

adafruit_support_carter

by tslagle on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. I tried the purple Blinka cable and several others that work on Circuit Playground Express boards, all gave the same behavior.

Plugged into a Windows 10 PC, I sometimes get an error message when I double click:
"USB device not recognized, The last USB device you connected to the computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."
The same computer and cable work fine with a CPX board.

tslagle

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:18 pm

Really odd behavior. It sounds like you are getting close to the expected behavior for bootloader mode:
If I double-click the reset, the back Neopixel turns on white and the red LED ramp up and down

The NeoPixel should be green here (or red if USB issue). White is unexpected. But something is also driving the red LED up/down, which is the expected behavior. Is the red LED ramp up/down fast (bad USB) or slow (good USB)? You can use the CPX as a comparison.

Are you getting that same LED pattern at this point?
when I double click:
"USB device not recognized, The last USB device you connected to the computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

If possible, can you also try the PyPortal on another PC.

adafruit_support_carter

by tslagle on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks again. The red LED ramping is faster than the CPX in bootloader mode so it seems like "bad USB" mode.

I tried a different PC and got the same behavior.

Note that I have never seen anything come up on the LCD. Wouldn't the Adabox 011 PyPortal come with a demo program installed that would run even if it just got power but no USB connection?

tslagle

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Yep, it should have come with something. But if we could at least get you into bootloader mode, we could get you back to running again.

It seems like something might be wrong with the hardware. Can you clarify what color the NeoPixel was when you were getting the fast-ish blinking red LED?

adafruit_support_carter

by tslagle on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:13 pm

The Neopixel turns on bright white when the reset button is double-clicked. Red LED by the USB port fast-ramps for a while and then turns off but the Neopixel stays on.

tslagle

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Total mystery. Let's just replace it.

Send an email to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement PyPortal.

adafruit_support_carter

by tslagle on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Will do. Thank you!

tslagle

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.