🇺🇸Adafruit will not be shipping orders on Independence Day Monday 7/4/2022. Please allow extra time for your order to ship and plan accordingly.🇺🇸

High-precision rain gauge using Pro Mini, Piezo, Diff Amp, B
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

High-precision rain gauge using Pro Mini, Piezo, Diff Amp, B

by Govner on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:55 am

Completed_piezo_rainGuage.jpg
Solar panel is part of the wireless system
Completed_piezo_rainGuage.jpg (123.15 KiB) Viewed 477 times
I have never been happy with the resolution or operation of "rocker-type" rain gauges. Moving parts and constricted water entry openings are enevitable sources of problems. Why not have a no-moving-parts, water-proof detector. "Waterproof" ? How can that be? Enter stage left, a piezo crystal detection unit.

This unit is capable of counting rain drops at a rate (about 2 usec between drops, est.) that far exceeds the world's record rainfall rate (Google: South America 1.5-inches/minute). In any case, my goal was not worrying about the fact that research assigns 1 uL/drop or some such thing. I just wanted to get the big picture so I could inhibit irrigation pumps when enough rain warranted that. And with a simple evaporation algorithm, re-enable the pumps. All control had to be wireless so I just added another NRF24L01+ 2.4Ghz transceiver ($2 USD) to my existing network. Piece of cake. I used a glass MASON jar which is used for preserving foodstuffs and is completely waterproof. I used a glass one (as you can see) but plastic would have been easier for drilling the small hole in the bottom for DC power. I used a diamond drill bit and it took all of about 30 seconds. No biggie.

Happy to share anything/everything done on this project. I used Pro Mini, 4 piezo elements, differential amplifier, Buck power supply (I like the buffering between my solar panel system), BME280, NRF24L01, DS3231 RTC.

I just wire-wrapped the assembly on a PCB that I designed for general purposes like this. I recommend using electrical contact grease around the lip of the glass jar just to get a great, lasting seal. (That's another reason why I chose not to use plastic. Glass has a far superior long-term reliability in this regard).

The unit works far better than I expected and has other applications. The processing speed is so nice that, when I did the "shower stall test", I could increase the droplet rate and see the drop-to-drop LED response. At the maximum rate, the LED just can't keep up with the rate and appears to be lit steady.

Completed_piezo_rainGuage.jpg
Solar panel is part of the wireless system
Completed_piezo_rainGuage.jpg (123.15 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Attachments
Completed_PiezoRainGuage_nSolar.JPG
Close up of piezo-based rain drop measurement unit
Completed_PiezoRainGuage_nSolar.JPG (121.95 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Govner

Re: High-precision rain gauge using Pro Mini, Piezo, Diff Am

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:47 am

Nice project! Thanks for posting.

adafruit_support_bill

by millercommamatt on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 am

Neat. This looks like a DIY Yost impact disdrometer. With some creative signal processing, you should be able to handle simultaneous droplet impact and sort out droplet size.

millercommamatt

by Govner on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:06 pm

For those wishing to build your own, here's a schematic that I tossed together for that purpose. If there are questions, feel free to fire away.

I would encourage anyone interested to try it. It will not disappoint. I have one installed on my patio, battery powered, solar charged, and is transmitting to my inside unit 24/7. Bird droppings notwithstanding, the sensor tests 100% reliable in detecting rain drops at most all possible rain densities/intensities. Simultaneous droplet impacts less than 10 usec apart or so will be counted at one impact. There is no "contact bounce" so all impacts are well-defined square-wave inputs to the Pro-Mini. Enjoy.

Regards,
GOV

Rain_Piezo_RF24_Network.pdf
Schematic diagram of Piezo Rain Detector Design. Author : W.J.Glenn, Released into public domain.
(16.75 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

Govner

by millercommamatt on Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:08 am

Impact disdrometers have an issue where the splash from impacting droplets produce a false positive. The typical remedy is to ignore low magnitude impact for a short period of time after a large droplet impact. Have you noticed splash signals with your instrument? Do you know your minimum size sensitivity?

millercommamatt

by Govner on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:31 am

millercommamatt wrote:Impact disdrometers have an issue where the splash from impacting droplets produce a false positive. The typical remedy is to ignore low magnitude impact for a short period of time after a large droplet impact. Have you noticed splash signals with your instrument? Do you know your minimum size sensitivity?

For my purposes, these issues involving high-precision measurements are not particularly relavant. But, that's not to say others might have a need and I can see that it would be a fun little research project using this instrument. Innovation is a beautiful thing. Thanks for asking. Regards.

Govner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.