MAGTAG USB C PORT IS LOOSE

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bleemer

MAGTAG USB C PORT IS LOOSE

Post by Bleemer »

I finally got around to using my AdaBox Magtag to make the Clean/Dirty dishwasher sign for my wife. I seemed to have an intermittent connection to the computer and when I started checking the cable, I noticed the USB C Port is loose on the circuit board. Is this something you can fix or suggest how I can re-solder.

-Blee

adafruit_support_carter

Re: MAGTAG USB C PORT IS LOOSE

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Can you tell which specific pins don't seem to be soldered well? In the photo below, the cyan arrows point to the pins that act to hold the connector to the PCB. There's no data with those pins, so they just need a nice big solder blob to hold them down into the holes on the PCB. The pins in the red rectangle are the important ones - they carry data and power. Those are much smaller and trickier to work with.
connector.jpg
connector.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 383 times

Bleemer

Post by Bleemer »

Sorry but I don't see any photos attached to your reply. That said, I understand your point and yes the legs that hold the USB C port are loose and the connections at the backside of the port are intermittent so they must also be loose too. when I plug in the USB C Cable the charge light comes on but only if I wiggle the port a bit. The whole USB C port can lift up and down so that is obviously not good.

adafruit_support_carter

Oops. Works better if I actually attach the photo. Fixed.

We can just replace this if you want unless you want try and self repair. The small data pins would be the most tricky.

Bleemer

Post by Bleemer »

Thanks for the photos and nope, I can solder quite well, but those are tiny, close together and my eyes a getting old... Not a successful combination with tiny, hot melty things that like to short together!

If you can exchange or repair mine, I would greatly appreciate it.

Let me know where to send the order # information from when I bought it and I will get that back to you asap.

Thanks,

-Blee

adafruit_support_carter

OK, let's just replace it. Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement MagTag. Sorry that one had a loose connector.

Bleemer

Post by Bleemer »

Thank you for the great support.

-Blee

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”