MagTag Hangs and won't update the Display

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brendanm720

MagTag Hangs and won't update the Display

Post by brendanm720 »

Hello,

I've got a strange issue with the Magtag that came in Adabox 017. It worked with the Fortune-Telling code on it for a little while, but then the E-Ink display stopped working.

Things seem to work okay as long as I don't try to write anything to the e-ink display. When I do, the entire thing hangs up. I'm thinking that something has failed in a spectacular fashion. I pinged discord for some assistance in early February, but the things we tried didn't fix it.

I contacted support via email on March 12 and Stephaie asked me to create a thread here and advised me that it may be 1-2 business days until I received a response. I created one on March 12 entitled "Strange Issue with Magtag from Adabox 017" which was viewed a large number of times but not commented upon.

Here's what works:
  • Wifi
  • i2c (AHT 20 Temp/Humidity)
  • Battery Voltage (magtag.peripherals.battery)
  • Buttons
  • Neopixels
  • Buzzer
I modified the "Hello World" example found at https://learn.adafruit.com/creating-mag ... e-examples to read the AHT 20 sensor and the battery and light the Neopixels. I had everything writing to the REPL every 5 seconds but when I attempt to write to the e-ink, the whole thing seems to hang -- nothing shows on the serial REPL, the buttons stop making beeps and Neopixels stop lighting. To fix it, the reset button must be pressed, or the whole thing power-cycled.

Strangely, the drive and the serial device still show up. The Circuitpython drive is working -- I can make changes to the files on the Magtag -- but when I try to connect to the serial device with puTTY, it does not show anything. Restoring the code on the Magtag to the original project that it shipped with does not fix things, and gives me all red Neopixels (which is what happens prior to displaying the Digikey logo).

Here is what I've already tried to get this fixed (in February 2021):
  • upgrade the uf2 file to Circuitpython (6.1.0)
  • upgrade the uf2 file to the beta version of Circuitpython (6.2.0 Beta 1)
  • upgrade the bootloader using esptool (per the instructions in the learn guide)
  • upgrade the libraries to the latest Circuitpython 6 code as of 2/1/2021
  • erase the flash using esptool and reinstalling the bootloader via esptool
  • erase the flash using esptool and flash the bin version of Circuitpython 6.1.0 via esptool
As of right now, it's running Circuitpython 6.1.0 bare metal on the chip (using the bin file) and the Adabox 017 code with the libraries that shipped with it. I've got all red Neopixels, and nothing on the serial REPL. The Circuitpython drive works as it did before.

I have a 2nd MagTag that is working fine and

Is there anything else I should try? I've attached the serial output from the RX/TX pins on the back of the unit in case that helps.

If there is nothing else to attempt, please advise what additional steps we need to take.

Thanks in advance!

-Brendan
Attachments
MagTag Serial Info with UF2 BIN.txt
(10.54 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
MagTag Serial Info with Circuitpython BIN.txt
(664 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times

dastels

Re: MagTag Hangs and won't update the Display

Post by dastels »

It sounds like you've been taking reasonable steps.

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one MagTag.

Dave

brendanm720

Re: MagTag Hangs and won't update the Display

Post by brendanm720 »

Thank you, Dave!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”