Can't Flash Huzzah - Invalid Head of Packet
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Adafruit MicroPython is currently EXPERIMENTAL and BETA - Please visit https://learn.adafruit.com/category/micropython and http://forum.micropython.org/ in addition to our section here!
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't Flash Huzzah - Invalid Head of Packet

by stevenquinn on Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:23 am

I'm trying to flash my Feather Huzzah so I can use Circuit Python or Micropython, and I can't get it flashed to try either. I'm on Mac OS X Sierra, and have been following the directions at https://learn.adafruit.com/micropython- ... rd/esp8266. I've got pip installed and used that to install esptool. I also installed the Mac OS X SiLabs driver it recommended. However, when I plug in the Huzzah and try to either erase or flash the device, I get the following:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
esptool.py v2.0.1
Connecting...
Detecting chip type...
A fatal error occurred: Invalid head of packet ('\x00')

Any ideas on what I might try to get around this? I've tried it with two different computers and two different boards, same results either way.

stevenquinn

Re: Can't Flash Huzzah - Invalid Head of Packet

by danhalbert on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi, I haven't seen this issue myself, but looked for possible causes. A few questions:

1. Is this a fresh Feather Huzzah out of the box, with NodeMCU Lua installed?
2. If so, can you talk to the Lua REPL via the "screen" command?
3. One reason you might get that error is if the serial port on the Huzzah is already in use (e.g., via screen). Are you connected when you try to run esptool?

danhalbert

by stevenquinn on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Hmm, I seem to be having a larger problem in general. I saw some serial communication coming over that was a previous sketch I had loaded on the board, so I went to load a new default Arduino sketch on it just to get back to defaults, and I'm now getting the following error while trying to upload a new sketch. I've tried it with two separate boards so I'm guessing it's my mac at fault.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Uploading 223376 bytes from to flash at 0x00000000
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
warning: espcomm_send_command: didn't receive command response
warning: espcomm_send_command(FLASH_DOWNLOAD_BEGIN) failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

stevenquinn

by stevenquinn on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Scratch that. I just tried updating a default Arduino sketch to a Feather 32u4 board I have and that worked just fine (never tried to flash this before).

Is it possible when trying to flash with the esptool utility that I bricked my feather huzzahs?

stevenquinn

by danhalbert on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Hi, it appears this is a new problem that others are encountering as well, possibly related to a driver issue on MacOS 10.12.6. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=121688 and in particular this post and the ones after it: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=121688&start=15#p608497. You may want to join in there, since this seems to be not just CircuitPython related but more general.

danhalbert

by stevenquinn on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 pm

I'll check there. Thank you!

stevenquinn

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.