PyPortal Touch screen always indicating touch

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dephillipsmi

PyPortal Touch screen always indicating touch

Post by dephillipsmi »

I recently purchase a PyPortal to build the EZ Make reflow oven. After running the calibration code, updating the profile, I ran the actual oven code. It booted fine and displayed everything as expected. Unfortunately, it was not registering touching the start button. I put in a print statement to output the touch coordinates and it appears that the screen is always registering a touch even when the screen is not being touched. With nothing touching the screen, the returned x,y is in the range 10 to 25 for x and 91 to 101 for y. When I touch anywhere on the screen the returns are x = 0 and y in the range 100 to 102.

Do I have a bad PyPortal or is this a code issue with the oven controller or libraries?

Circuit Python 7.0 (latest release)
Libraries for Circuit Python 7.x
EZ Make oven controller Version 1.3.2

Reverting Circuit Python to 6.3.0 as well as the libraries to the 6.x bundle results in the same outcome.

dephillipsmi

Re: PyPortal Touch screen always indicating touch

Post by dephillipsmi »

I found the touch screen demo and loaded that code. It is now showing a touch continually at the same coordinates even when touching the display with my finger. I really think the screen is defective.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Do you have it in a case? Please post a picture of it.

dephillipsmi

Post by dephillipsmi »

Yes, I used the case from adafruit. The touch screen is continually indicating a touch even when it is not in the case. To get everything working, used the other digital port, attached a pushbutton, and use that to start/cancel the process. To debounce the pushbutton I used the adafruit_debounce.mpy code.
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG (178.39 KiB) Viewed 175 times

dephillipsmi

Post by dephillipsmi »

I was let to believe that posting to the forum about problems with a device purchased was how returns/replacement of defective items were handled. As yet I have not been contacted about a replacement for the defective touch screen on my PyPortal.

Is there some other path to getting a replacement?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please download the pre-compiled test UF2 file from here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pyportal/downloads
Click on the green button labeled "PyPortal Arcada self-test UF2" and the downloaded file should be named PyPortal_Arcada_Test.UF2.

Double press the reset button to put the PyPortal in bootloader mode and then drag the UF2 file to the BOOT folder.

Next to the label "Touch:" on the display, touch output will be shown. It should be blank when not touching. If you touch anywhere on the screen, the coordinates will be shown. Do you get any better behavior in touch with this example?

dephillipsmi

Post by dephillipsmi »

The X is always -126 to -128, y varies between 25 when touching near the top and 225 when touching near the bottom of the screen. So it appears that the X axis is not properly responding.

So the bottom line is that it appears to be able to know touch vs not touched but the x coordinate is bad.

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks for running that test. Yah, those Y values seem fine, at least. OK, next thing to check:

Check the ribbon cable on the back of PyPortal. Does it seem well seated and the retaining tabs all the way in?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pyp ... rdware-faq
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... n_tabs.jpg

dephillipsmi

Post by dephillipsmi »

Yes, it is well seated and the tabs are pushed in all the way.

I popped the tabs, jiggled the ribbon cable, resecured the tabs, and tested again. No change in the test output.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, thanks for trying those tests and checks. Not sure what's going on. We can send you a replacement. As a sanity check, try running that same UF2 test file, without being in the case, with the replacement, just to make sure it arrives in working condition.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement PyPortal.

dephillipsmi

Post by dephillipsmi »

Will do. Thank you.

dephillipsmi

Post by dephillipsmi »

Received the replacement PyPortal this afternoon. The touch screen works perfectly on this one. It is nice not having to have an ugly mechanical button hung on it. Thank you.

adafruit_support_carter

Yeah! Glad it works. Thanks for letting us know. And thanks again for going through all the troubleshooting with the other one.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”