Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 3-4 business days. On MLK Day no orders will be shipped.

CircuitPython 7.0.0 on BBC micro:bit v2
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CircuitPython 7.0.0 on BBC micro:bit v2

by maconner on Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:23 am

Hi friends
Unfortunately CircuitPython 7.0.0 version does not seem to work on micro:bit v2!
After copying the HEX file to the micro:bit drive in my computer, the board is reset and CircuitPython isn't loaded.
Does anyone have a similar problem?

Also I didn't find a link to previous versions (CircuitPython 6.3 for micro:bit v2).
And note: Why not find a link from CircuitPython to micro:bit v1? Not supported?

Thanks.

maconner

Re: CircuitPython 7.0.0 on BBC micro:bit v2

by tannewt on Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:28 pm

The micro:bit v2 won't show up as CIRCUITPY due to the usb converter chip. Instead, the device should advertise over BLE so you can use File Glider, PyLeap or code.circuitpython.org to connect to it. Do any of the LEDs blink after it is loaded?

The micro:bit v1 isn't supported due to it's 16k of RAM. Our smallest supported micros have 32k and it's frequently not enough.

tannewt

by maconner on Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:16 pm

tannewt wrote:The micro:bit v2 won't show up as CIRCUITPY due to the usb converter chip. Instead, the device should advertise over BLE so you can use File Glider, PyLeap or code.circuitpython.org to connect to it. Do any of the LEDs blink after it is loaded?

The micro:bit v1 isn't supported due to it's 16k of RAM. Our smallest supported micros have 32k and it's frequently not enough.

Thanks @tannewt
Unfortunately I don't have access to the iPhone or Mac operating system, when I upload the firmware file through Windows, the board is reset and a drive called micro-bit is created in my computer, is this normal?
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
https://vimeo.com/652196640
CIRPY is visible when I search via Bluetooth (via Android phone).
Failed to connect to PC via Chrome browser and Linux, Windows 10 or 7. (Nothing to be found.)
But on Android phone and Chrome browser, it gets stuck while pairing like the attachment image.
There is no easier way to upload code to nrf52 processors, I'm really confused.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211130-231340.jpg
Screenshot_20211130-231340.jpg (364.94 KiB) Viewed 180 times

maconner

by tannewt on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:08 pm

maconner wrote:Unfortunately I don't have access to the iPhone or Mac operating system, when I upload the firmware file through Windows, the board is reset and a drive called micro-bit is created in my computer, is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. It's the separate microcontroller that presents the drive, not CircuitPython.

maconner wrote:

Nice! That means it's working. I've asked Melissa to take a look at why it didn't work in Chrome.

maconner wrote:There is no easier way to upload code to nrf52 processors, I'm really confused.

Not for the micro:bit v2. Other boards make the native USB available on a connector but it does not. Other boards with a connector to the native USB will show up as a CIRCUITPY drive.

tannewt

by MakerMelissa on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:13 pm

Hello, I'll give the Micro:bit V2 a try here with it. In the meantime, we have a guide that may give you some ideas. Specifically this page: https://learn.adafruit.com/wirelessly-c ... vice-setup

Melissa

MakerMelissa

by maconner on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:22 am

tannewt wrote:
maconner wrote:Unfortunately I don't have access to the iPhone or Mac operating system, when I upload the firmware file through Windows, the board is reset and a drive called micro-bit is created in my computer, is this normal?

Yes, this is normal. It's the separate microcontroller that presents the drive, not CircuitPython.

maconner wrote:

Nice! That means it's working. I've asked Melissa to take a look at why it didn't work in Chrome.

maconner wrote:There is no easier way to upload code to nrf52 processors, I'm really confused.

Not for the micro:bit v2. Other boards make the native USB available on a connector but it does not. Other boards with a connector to the native USB will show up as a CIRCUITPY drive.

@Thanks :)

MakerMelissa wrote:Hello, I'll give the Micro:bit V2 a try here with it. In the meantime, we have a guide that may give you some ideas. Specifically this page: https://learn.adafruit.com/wirelessly-c ... vice-setup

Melissa

Thank You @MakerMelissa
I'll check.

maconner

by MakerMelissa on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:31 pm

I have verified it does work. Here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Make sure you are using the latest beta version of circuitpython 7.1.0
2. Make sure the device is close to your mobile device, like right next to it.
3. Make sure it is in Bluetooth Discovery mode. For the micro:bit V2, it looks like it has a single color LED and pressing reset while it is in the fast flashing phase seems to work.
4. Make sure you are running a recent version of chrome and android.
5. Remove the device from your system bluetooth device and try pairing through chrome.

MakerMelissa

by 7alken on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:39 am

something stopped me here to post becasue of regular technical term, so its now in github issue of webeditor, tnx

7alken

by maconner on Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:01 am

MakerMelissa wrote:I have verified it does work. Here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Make sure you are using the latest beta version of circuitpython 7.1.0
2. Make sure the device is close to your mobile device, like right next to it.
3. Make sure it is in Bluetooth Discovery mode. For the micro:bit V2, it looks like it has a single color LED and pressing reset while it is in the fast flashing phase seems to work.
4. Make sure you are running a recent version of chrome and android.
5. Remove the device from your system bluetooth device and try pairing through chrome.

Thanks.
Of course, there are still bugs.
The connection is established but the phone gets stuck (Connection is lost) when the code is uploaded! [Android 8.0 & the latest version of Chrome]

maconner

by MakerMelissa on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:28 pm

Maybe it needs further testing with an older version of Android. It was developed mostly against a recent version and I have an Android 6 device that I tested connectivity, but not much else.

Melissa

MakerMelissa

by maconner on Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:13 am

MakerMelissa wrote:Maybe it needs further testing with an older version of Android. It was developed mostly against a recent version and I have an Android 6 device that I tested connectivity, but not much else.
Melissa

Thank you for your effort.

maconner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.