Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 3-4 business days. On MLK Day no orders will be shipped.

Build for ESP32?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Build for ESP32?

by rderose on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:08 am

Micropython support ESP32-Pico-Kit boards using the ESP32 build, but I only see downloads for ESP32-S1 and C3.

Is there a reason this specific board is not included in the default build list? Is it assumed that you can use one of the S1 or C3 builds?

rderose

Re: Build for ESP32?

by danhalbert on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:33 am

We haven't supported CircuitPython on plain ESP32, as opposed to ESP32-S2, because it doesn't have native USB. We have experimental BLE-based-workflow support now for some other BLE-but-no-USB boards. We haven't tried that yet for plain ESP32, as it's mostly interesting if you want to run BLE and WiFi at the same time, and the stock firmware doesn't currently do that.

danhalbert

by rderose on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:40 am

pardon my ignorance as I am new to the microcontroller scene, but when you say native USB, do you mean for mounting as an SD card? Because it does support UART/serial over it's micro-usb port.

There also seems to be documentation about accessing sd_mmc

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp ... _host.html

I'm currently using Thonnly with micropython on it and I can read and write files via that, but I know that is probably using the esptool under the hood.

rderose

by tannewt on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:44 pm

Right, native USB means there is a generic USB peripheral in the chip. It can then be a serial connection, usb drive, midi link and HID (keyboard/mouse) all over USB. The serial-to-USB setup isn't native because it simply converts a UART to a USB serial interface.

This is separate from SD support. Most chips we use have internal flash or an external SPI flash.

Yes, Thonny transfers files over the serial link. In CircuitPython we focus on modifying files through the CIRCUITPY drive.

tannewt

by rderose on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:52 pm

OK, Thank you for the information and the quick replies.

rderose

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.