Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

Disable additional REPL via UART
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Disable additional REPL via UART

by Hannes_ on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:04 am

I am using the ESP32S2 Saola 1 w/Wrover board and I was able to install circuitpython successfully. The REPL can be accessed via the USB plug, but I can also access them over Pins 19 and 20 directly. However, I would like to use those pins for other purposes and I wonder if it is possible to disable the additional REPL via those pins e.g. in the boot.py file, so that I can use the USB connection to program the esp and use the Pins 19 and 20 for other purposes.

Hannes_

Re: Disable additional REPL via UART

by Hannes_ on Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:39 am

EDIT:
I think I was wrong earlier: I can access REPL only via Pins 19 and 20 and not over the USB port. (I used a USB hub where you can switch off the ports individually but I think that switches only the Power line off and not the data line. And since I powered the ESP via a second Cable I could still access the port while it was switched off)
So then my question would be if I could switch it so that I can only use REPL (and access the CIRCUITPY Drive) over the USB connector on the board and use Pins 19 and 20 as regular GPIO's for other purposes. (Although I guess that that is not possible from what I read earlier.)

Hannes_

Re: Disable additional REPL via UART

by danhalbert on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:13 am

Unfortunately the Saola board has a USB-serial- converter wired to the USB connector, and we can't make CIRCUITPY appear there, because it's not full fledged USB.

From the product description: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4693:
The micro USB connector on the Saola is wired through a CP210x USB to serial converter chip for debugging and programming. The native USB is not available on a USB connector - instead you'll want to pick up a Micro B USB connector breakout, Type C USB connector breakout or USB data cable and hand-wire D19/D20 to D- and D+ pads.

If you want native USB, you can go to the trouble of the above, but it's easier just to buy an ESP32-S2 board that already has that wired up. We sell a number of our own design, and there are third-party ones as well.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.