Adafruit Matrix Portal M4 and Pimoroni 64 * 64 LED Matrix

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bonepole

Adafruit Matrix Portal M4 and Pimoroni 64 * 64 LED Matrix

Post by bonepole »

Hi
Can anyone please help. I bought the Adafruit Matrix Portal M4 and Pimoroni 64 * 64 LED Matrix, which is programmed with CircuitPython, the preferred language in the Adafruit tutorials. Some weeks later I have been unable to get any of the Adafruit tutorials to display anything on the LED Matrix. I have installed the latest version of CircuitPython (7.3.1) and the correct bundle of libraries. I have also soldered the 'E to 8' link for this size of matrix, but it seems all of the Adafruit tutorials seem to wander off topic, are using old out of date libraries or veer to a completely different Matrix driver PCB.
If I put the portal into boot mode, and drag in Adafruits 'simple test' code, which overwrites anything else on the portal, the display works correctly, so the hardware is working. I just need to figure out how to get the code to work. With the '2021' test I get the 2021 split in half on the top quarter and the third quarter of the matrix with blank 2nd and 4th quarters.
I have spent a huge amount of time wading through many tutorials and most of the time I just get loads of errors in the REPL about incompatible libraries. Most of the tutorials come with '.py' libraries but the latest CycuitPython wants '.mpy' compiled libraries. There is even a tool called 'mpy-cross' which is supposed to covert '.py to .mpy' libraries, I have had zero success with that either.
Could you possibly point me to a source of code that actually works as it should with this setup.
Thank you very much,
Dave.

danhalbert

Re: Adafruit Matrix Portal M4 and Pimoroni 64 * 64 LED Matri

Post by danhalbert »

Please try CircuitPython 7.3.2, which has a fix for the Matrix Portal, and has updated frozen libraries, though we were not trying to fix a "split" display.

Note with "frozen libraries", there are libraries compiled into CircuitPython that will override any libraries you put in lib/: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... es-3117822. If you put a library in CIRCUITPY, it overrides what is in lib. This is based on the search path:

Code: Select all

>>>import sys
>>>sys.path
['', '/', '.frozen', '/lib']
The frozen libraries compiled into CircuitPython are listed on the board page in the top right box: https://circuitpython.org/board/matrixportal_m4/

bonepole

Post by bonepole »

Thank you for your reply, I will need to check but I think the last time I reinstalled Circuit Python after a serious crash that I thought might have 'bricked' the Matrix Portal, I think i put 7.3.2 in there.

I have just this weekend found and fixed the cause of the split text. Nowhere in any of the tutorials, which I have gone through many, many times, does it say that the default size for the LED matrix in the Matrix Portal library is 64 wide and 32 high. I found in the documentation that you must declare 64 wide and 64 high or anything else according to the size of your matrix. I have now got half a tutorial sort of working. There are still a few smaller issues that are in 'Black and White' in the documentation but they do not work no matter how I re-arrange them.

The major issue which still remains. There are a large number of Adafruit tutorials which require 'adafruitio' to fetch data to and from the cloud. This is compatible with 18 micro's but not yet for the Matrix Portal M4. Can you give some idea as to when this will be available. The demo I am deep in the middle of, is supposed to fetch 'random quotes and random colors' from the net, this obviously can not work, because you can not add this micro into your account. I am trying to figure out how to build a work around for a simple program like this, to pick up data from some kind of local database. I am not sure yet if this is even possible.

Thank you,

Dave.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

The MatrixPortal is similar to a PyPortal, but it has a SAMD51J19 instead of a SAMD51J20, and it drives an RGB matrix instead of a TFT screen. Both have an ESP32 co-processor to do wifi. You can adapt PyPortal projects to the MatrixPortal.

Here's a quotation server that uses AdafruitIO to serve up pithy quotes:
https://learn.adafruit.com/aio-quote-bo ... uote-board

Here's a moon phase clock that fetches various data from an Internet server:
https://learn.adafruit.com/moon-phase-c ... trixportal

Here's a general overview of MatrixPortal Internet project capability:
https://learn.adafruit.com/creating-pro ... al-library

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”