Not able to install Micropython on SAMD21
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Not able to install Micropython on SAMD21

by clovisf on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:42 pm

I am following Tony D's recently launched "MicroPython for SAMD21" turorial. I went so far as downloading bossac for my windows 10 and testing it with the bossac --help command, and it works. I have downloaded the .bin firmware for the Arduino Zero, and when I run this command (bossac -e -w -v -R -p COM8 adafruit-micropython-arduino_zero-1.8.5-20161020.bin ) it does nothing, just sits there indefinetely (at least until I press reset on the Arduino Zero board). I am sure my COM port is COM8 (I check it every time I connect the USB cable to the laptop).
I have tested it in two boards: the Arduino Zero from Arduino.cc and a third-part board with ATMSAD21G18+Arduino Bootloader. Both are flashed with the newest Arduino firmware and work perfectly with Arduino IDE 1.6.13 hourly build (the most recent IDE as of 11/11/2016).

What could I be missing? or could it be a bug?

clovisf

Re: Not able to install Micropython on SAMD21

by clovisf on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:12 pm

I was able to make it work!. After watching Tony D's youtube live stream attached to the tutorial (my bad I did not watch it before...) I learned that you have to double press/tap the reset button on the Arduino board in order to enter the "bootloader section". Then you follow the tutorial and it works!. So just as a suggestion:

- Please state in the TUTORIAL page (https://learn.adafruit.com/micropython- ... d-firmware) that after connecting the Arduino Zero to the USB port, one have to double press the reset button AND THEN follow along the tutorial.

clovisf

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.