Problem installing micrpython on feather huzzah
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problem installing micrpython on feather huzzah

by walkerwally on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm following Tony D's tutorial on installing MicroPython on my feather huzzah and have run into a problem. I have gotten to the place where the guide says :
esptool.py --port /path/to/ESP8266 erase_flash

Where /path/to/ESP8266 is the path or name of the serial port that is connected to the
ESP8266. The exact name of the device varies depending on the type of serial to USB
converter chip so you might need to look at the serial ports with and without the device
connected to find its name.
and I don't know what to put where it needs : esptool.py --port /path/to/ESP8266 erase_flash
I am using Windows 10 and the device manager shows the huzzah on com3. It shows : Silicon LabsCP210x USB to UART Bridge(com3)
I have tried a variety of ways to enter this with no luck.
Newby here and probably not too bright but I would really like to get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

walkerwally

Re: Problem installing micrpython on feather huzzah

by tannewt on Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Have you tried "--port COM3"? I think thats the correct form for Windows.

tannewt

by walkerwally on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Yeah, I tried :
C:\Users\Wally1>esptool.py --port COM3 erase_flash
and just for the ducks of it I tried :

C:\Users\Wally1>esptool.py --port /COM3 erase_flash

and no joy. I am sure I am making a simple mistake but it is not clear to me just what it is. I would hope that someone out there would know. Thanks for your reply.

walkerwally

by tannewt on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Ok, no problem. Sorry it doesn't work. What error does it give you?

tannewt

by walkerwally on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Well, I don't get any error, when I hit enter nothing happens with the board, no lights blink, and I just get the prompt :
C:\Users\Wally1>
Same thing with the erase_flash and the install.

walkerwally

by tannewt on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:03 pm

That seems really weird to me. I'm on OSX so I can't help really. Maybe try the NodeMCU flasher instructions instead. https://learn.adafruit.com/building-and ... h-firmware

tannewt

by walkerwally on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Thanks, that certainly looks worth trying. I will do that tomorrow and post my result.

walkerwally

by tannewt on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Ok, thanks. I hope it works!

tannewt

by walkerwally on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Well, I tried the NodeMCU flasher and it looked like it worked, blue light flashed steady and all looked good but when I tried to connect to the Feather Huzzah using Putty it would not connect. I was able to run the Arduino IDE on the Huzzah so that is good. Thanks for your help tannewt2, I had hoped that some one else would maybe be able to help but it looks like no one is interested. It seems like an easy thing to answer from someone that is a bit more familiar with what is needed for Windows, I just need to know how to correctly format the command to flash the board. I had watched Tony D's video on MicroPython and bought the Feather Huzzah because of that video and was really looking forward to using it but I guess I will just put in in the drawer and give up for now.

walkerwally

by tannewt on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:38 pm

Don't give up now! Sounds like you were close. What Putty settings did you try? Did you reset the board before trying?

Remember you are one of the first people to try the instructions. I'm sure people would like to help but MicroPython's just new for now.

I'm happy to keep trying to help though most of my work is with MicroPython on the SAMD21 (M0).

tannewt

by loraan on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Sorry, I was meaning to reply to this, but have been a bit distracted... and my HUZZAH was back to running Arduino code for a bit while I try to sort out what's wrong with my MicroPython version (long and irrelevant story). Anyway, I pulled my HUZZAH back out and have tried reloading the MicroPython firmware. Here's all I did in the command line (along with the responses from esptool.py):

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
C:\>esptool.py --port COM9 erase_flash
esptool.py v1.2.1
Connecting...
Running Cesanta flasher stub...
Erasing flash (this may take a while)...
Erase took 8.0 seconds

C:\>esptool.py --port COM9 --baud 460800 write_flash --flash_size=detect 0 esp8266-20161110-v1.8.6.bin
esptool.py v1.2.1
Connecting...
Auto-detected Flash size: 32m
Running Cesanta flasher stub...
Flash params set to 0x0040
Writing 569344 @ 0x0... 569344 (100 %)
Wrote 569344 bytes at 0x0 in 13.6 seconds (333.8 kbit/s)...
Leaving...

After this point, I'm able to connect with PUTTY at 115200 bps on COM9, and I can get the Python prompt by pressing the return key a couple of times.

Note that prior to this, I had followed the instructions at https://learn.adafruit.com/micropython- ... rd/esp8266 to get the latest MicroPython firmware (esp8266-20161110-v1.8.6.bin) and the SiLabs driver for the USB serial port used by the HUZZAH.

Basically, I am not seeing anything obviously wrong with what you are doing. Your COM port number is different from mine, but that's probably fine, since that's what your device manager is giving you. I don't see what command you are using to try to install the MicroPython firmware.. maybe you can post a transcript of your session where you try to erase the flash and install the new firmware?

loraan

by walkerwally on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks for your reply Loraan, I followed your example and it worked !!! For the life of me I can't see what is different from the example I used on 12/13 but for some reason it worked today for both erasing the flash and installing the firmware. Thanks for your help.

walkerwally

by loraan on Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:57 pm

Great! Glad to see that it's working now. I would blame it on gremlins.

loraan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.