No Python prompt on ESP8266 Feather Huzzah
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Adafruit MicroPython is currently EXPERIMENTAL and BETA - Please visit https://learn.adafruit.com/category/micropython and http://forum.micropython.org/ in addition to our section here!
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

No Python prompt on ESP8266 Feather Huzzah

by wwhalljr on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi all,

I've successfully used Ampy, the "screen" command and CoolTerm to talk to the ESP8266 Huzzah breakout board and list, send, remove and run MicroPython code. I now have a new ESP8266 Feather Huzzah that I can successfully erase and flash using esptool.py and the appropriate SLAB driver. But I can't seem to otherwise communicate with it - Ampy, for example, will try to put a file on the board, but the cursor will blink as long as I let it, never completing the file transfer. Similarly, asking for a file list, which should return the boot.py file at this stage, will hang with the cursor blinking merrily away. The ONLY activity I can see from the board is debug output flying past using screen or CoolTerm if I hit the board's reset button. I can then erase and re-flash from Terminal, but that's it. Anyone have any ideas why I can't get to the REPL on the board?

I'm using a good USB power supply, direct from Mac Mini, so I don't think that's the issue. I'm attaching a screen shot of the CoolTerm session, which appears to be debug output. Any help is appreciated!

Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.38.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 7.38.33 PM.png (202.88 KiB) Viewed 262 times

wwhalljr

Re: No Python prompt on ESP8266 Feather Huzzah

by tannewt2 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:37 am

What version of MicroPython did you flash? Please post a picture of how its connected. That output could just be noise on the RX line. Thanks!

tannewt2

by wwhalljr on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the latest version of uPython for the ESP8266 found on https://micropython.org/download/. I'm not near my setup right now - and I'll post a picture later - but I have the microUSB connected to the ESP8266 Feather Huzzah, and the other end of the USB cable plugged into the back of a Mac Mini.

Flashing appears to happen normally. Terminal displays the appropriate information and exits on completion. It would appear that I'm connected to the board using screen or CoolTerm, but no Python prompt ever appears. I wonder if the board is stuck in boot load.

I'll post the picture later.

wwhalljr

by wwhalljr on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Here is a picture of my setup. The USB connection goes directly to the Mac Mini, visible in the rear of the photo. I hope this helps!

ESP8266FeatherHuzzahSetup.jpg
ESP8266FeatherHuzzahSetup.jpg (218.42 KiB) Viewed 228 times

wwhalljr

by tannewt2 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Ok, I don't see anything definitive. Here are a couple things to try:
  • After flashing, fully power cycle the board.
  • Triple check you are specifying the 115200 baudrate. I've had problems not providing it to screen after a flash.
  • Try without the battery plugged in, only with USB power.
  • Try with CircuitPython instead: https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/releases

tannewt2

by jerryn on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Regarding CircuitPython on the ESP8266 Huzzah - I am still unable to get it to work properly on the HUZZAH Breakout board. It works fine on the Feather. Still looks like a problem with Receiving keyboard input. TX is OK, but I can't get it to go beyond the initial startup. MicroPython works OK on both the breakout and Feather.
Note - I have not tried 0.9.3 yet - I did try 0.9.2.

Just a heads up - I'd love to hear from someone else using a HUZZAH breakout with CircuitPython!

jerryn

by tannewt2 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:13 pm

jerryn, I'll check it out in just over a week after I get home. I've gotta get some more hardware to test. :-) Thanks for confirming it works on the Feather.

tannewt2

by jerryn on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 pm

Scott - thanks - the only reason I mentioned it here was that the OP mentioned he had both as well. I wanted to alert him in case he tries it on the breakout.
No rush on my part - Enjoy the rest of your travels!

wwhalljr - sorry for the presumption of "he" - I was thinking this was from a different poster.

jerryn

by wwhalljr on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Sorry fellas, still no go. If I reset the board after upload of both uPython and CircuitPython, I get the fast scrolling ascii characters mentioned before. The only option is to ctrl-a-\ to exit screen terminal and reflash. I can erase and reflash, no problem.

Double checked the baud rate of 115200. Looks good.

I tried *without* the battery plugged in, same behavior - no Python prompt after flashing.

I loaded CircuitPython on the Feather Huzzah - but not the breakout :-) - no luck sadly. Still wind up with a blinking cursor and no Python prompt. The board is unresponsive to any kind of input at all and I'm forced to exit "screen".

And yeah, I'm a guy :-) Not sure what next steps are - thinking, thinking.

wwhalljr

by tannewt2 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Bummer! Have you tried serial with Arduino? That can confirm the hardware is ok.

tannewt2

by wwhalljr on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:25 pm

I haven't tried Arduino yet, went straight from PBASIC to uPython, never stopped at Arduino.

That Raspberry Pi Zero W is looking mighty attractive for embedded projects. :-) Or, I might order another Feather Huzzah and keep playing with the Huzzah Breakout in the meantime.

I'll keep researching a possible answer for my problem and post any successes here. Thanks much.

wwhalljr

by tannewt2 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Ok, sorry we couldn't get it going. I'll be better equipped for more debugging when I get home next week from my Europe trip. Please keep me posted like jerryn is. :-)

tannewt2

by wwhalljr on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:05 am

Hi all,

I purchased a second ESP8266 Feather Huzzah with pins already soldered thinking I might have done a bad soldering job (tho I couldn't visually see anything wrong on the first board). I'm still having the same issue. On the second board, I can see the "SLABS" serial port in Terminal, and can erase and flash the board (at 115200 and faster speeds) easily using a Mac Mini and a Macbook Air. Every time I press reset following a successful flash, I immediately get a rapid cascade of serial noise on *both* ESP8266 Feather Huzzahs. The blue light flashes wildly. I can see the output via CoolTerm and by using the "screen" command in both Macs (and on an HP Stream running Manjaro). Via screen, I have tried Control-D (if I don't immediately reset the board) to get the python prompt. Alas, no prompt, just an endless flashing cursor. At this point, I'm stumped.

I've had great success with my ESP8266 Huzzah breakout, which is all the more puzzling. I might expect the situation to be the reverse.

I'd appreciate any new ideas at all :-\

wwhalljr

by tannewt2 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:04 pm

Yeah, thats really weird to me. I'd expect reasonable output after some garbage on boot. What version of Mac OSX and screen are you using?

(I realize this is unlikely.) Do you have an oscilloscope or logic analyzer? That could detect a funny baud rate.

Does the #13 LED light up at all on boot? We could change the CircuitPython to flash that LED at some point during boot to find out where it stops.

tannewt2

by wwhalljr on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm using Yosemite, 10.10.3 (14D136) on the Air, and El Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50) on the Mini - Screen version 4.00.03 on both machines. No oscilloscope or logic analyzer.

I have Anaconda 4.3.0 set up on both machines, if that makes any difference.

I did notice today that just plugging a freshly-flashed board into the back of the Mini will set off the blue TX light, which will flash very rapidly and brightly, and I have to re-flash.

Which light is on pin #13?

I'm attaching a screen shot of the erase, flash output in Terminal.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.32.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.32.14 PM.png (228.95 KiB) Viewed 109 times

wwhalljr

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.