Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Feather M0 Express!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather M0 Express!

by tannewt on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:33 pm

I'm super excited everyone! Our first board designed for CircuitPython is out! Its like a Feather M0 Basic but with extra 2 MB flash, status NeoPixel and super awesome, beta bootloader. The extra SPI flash means we get 64k more room for CircuitPython awesomeness and two whole megabytes for Python code (RAM will be the limitation)! Get one (or two or three) here.

Here is the full product description:

We love all our Feathers equally, but this Feather is very special. It's our first Feather that is specifically designed for use with CircuitPython! CircuitPython is our beginner-oriented flavor of MicroPython - and as the name hints at, its a small but full-featured version of the popular Python programming language specifically for use with circuitry and electronics.

Please note, CircuitPython is still in beta and we're working hard to make it awesome! Please pick up one of these Feather M0 Expresses if you want to try it out - maybe even help us find bugs and make improvements!

That doesn't mean you cant also use it with Arduino IDE! At the Feather M0's heart is an ATSAMD21G18 ARM Cortex M0+ processor, clocked at 48 MHz and at 3.3V logic, the same one used in the new Arduino Zero. This chip has a whopping 256K of FLASH (8x more than the Atmega328 or 32u4) and 32K of RAM (16x as much)! This chip comes with built in USB so it has USB-to-Serial program & debug capability built in with no need for an FTDI-like chip.

tannewt

Re: Feather M0 Express!

by fos on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:41 pm

I received my Feather M0 Express a couple of days ago. I flashed with the .93 version of CircuitPython. Everything went as expected. For some reason the "blinky" python script does not work. The neopixel flashes blue when the script code.py is uploaded.

I'm still trouble shooting. I will post again as I make progress.

fos

fos

by fos on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:47 pm

It is now working.

This is the code in code.py

import nativeio
import board
import time

led = nativeio.DigitalInOut(board.D13)
led.switch_to_output()
while True:
led.value = not led.value
time.sleep(0.5)

The only difference in the file is a // comment at the top describing the file.

Does CircuitPython support comments?

I will play some more...

Thank you, fos

fos

by jerryn on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Just to make sure you are looking at the right LED. The red LED next to the USB connected should blink, not the NEOPixel.
On mine the NEOPIXEL is Green while the script is running.

jerryn

by fos on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:56 pm

I do know the difference. ;)

It was the neopixel that was flashing blue, not the red led near the USB.

At least I know the board is working properly. I will try to reproduce the error.

Thanks, fos

fos

by jerryn on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Sorry - just had to be sure ... ;-) Good luck!

jerryn

by jerryn on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:22 pm

On mine, I have not seen the NEOPixel Blue. If I have no code.py then it does a fading Green until I enter the REPL and the NEOPixel goes White. - If I have code.py present (same as your example) then It is solid green and the D13 LED blinks.

Looking at the source code, I think BLUE should indicate it is in the BOOT process but it should not be there long. I have never seen it.

Have you tried loading the same code as test.py and then executing it manually?

jerryn

by tannewt on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Comments in Python start with # and not //. :-) // is truncated division in Python.

tannewt

by fos on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Too much c programming....

I'm sure that was the problem.

Thank you!!

// egg on face....
Last edited by fos on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fos

by tannewt on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:29 pm

No worries. :-) I do that too.

tannewt

by zencuke2 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:19 pm

fos wrote:Too much c programming....

I'm sure that was the problem.

Thank you!!

// egg on face....

I noticed that instantly when I read your post. Does that mean I am superior? No. It just means I have done it so many times I'm sensitized. And I still do it occasionally.

zencuke2

by d4danger on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 am

Hi,
I have just got my new Feather M0 Express.
I plugged it in to my Windows 7 laptop and it showed as a USB drive. I copied adafruit-circuitpython-feather_m0_express-0.9.6.uf2 and it rebooted ok. I edited a new main.py onto the device.

However I had to break to install the adafruit serial driver so that I could get the REPL working.

Now when I plug in the device it no longer shows as a USB device. The green light is erratically pulsing However it comes up on COM19 and I try to putty 115200 into the board I get error writing to serial device warning from putty.

If I now hit reset twice the green light goes steady and the red light is on pulsing. Now it comes up as COM20. I try to putty 115200 into the board and get USBS or sometimes USBSE0740,4# reply.

I am not sure what to try next. Any ideas.
Thanks very much
Hugh

d4danger

by tannewt on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear that Hugh!

Do you have anything connected to the feather besides the computer? Do you see a FEATHERBOOT drive when the bootloader is active (red light is pulsing)? Typically you don't use the serial connection directly with the bootloader.

tannewt

by d4danger on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi,
Have done a bit more experimentation
Laptop Windows7 initially saw feather as Usb drive. Installed adafruit serial driver and then laptop would not see feather as Usb drive.
Laptop 2 Windows 10 installed adafruit serial driver would not see feather as Usb drive.
PC Windows 10 saw feather as Usb drive and also saw COM port. Managed to get then REPL working fine.
Looks like a problem if you install Adafruit serial driver.
Now how do I undo this on the two laptops?
Love the Feather M0 though ☺
Hugh

d4danger

by adafruit2 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:29 pm

hiya, if you double-click the buton while the feather m0 express is attached, does the green neopixel light up and the FEATHERBOOT drive appear? on any of your computers....

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.