Micropython ESP8266

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tock

Micropython ESP8266

Post by tock »

Hello,

I am using Adafruit's Huzzah and the CP2104 breakout board to communicate with my computer.

I have hooked up DTR -> GPIO0 and RTS->RST to upload code to the ESP8266 automatically. I was able to flash the Micropython firmware, but I was unable to get a prompt on screen. Only when I disconnected the RST and GPIO0 connections I was able to get a python prompt. I would prefer not to do this as I want to integrate these two chips onto a PCB eventually. Is there something wrong with my connections?

Edit: I was able to upload python code via ampy while the both lines are disconnected.

I still can't upload firmware via the esptool while these two lines are disconnected, however, in case I wish to upload code through flashing the firmware.

Thanks!

jerryn

Re: Micropython ESP8266

Post by jerryn »

Are you using the Huzzah breakout or the Feather and are you using MicroPython or CircuitPython?
I have been struggling with a Huzzah breakout and CircutPython and wonder if your experience is related.

tock

Post by tock »

I am using Micropython and I am using the Huzzah breakout.

jerryn

Post by jerryn »

Are you entering a Control-D after the upload?
If I recall my setup, I have to do this to get to the prompt after flashing the image. I am using the Huzzah breakout and "FTDI Friend",

I have all of the pins connected and have not had any problems with MicroPython.
I'll poke around with it this evening to see if I can reproduce your situation.

jerryn

Post by jerryn »

sorry - I misunderstood and I don't have the same setup. I don't have the DTR connect to GPIO- - I still do the manual two-button process to upload.

tock

Post by tock »

umhmm! I don't want to do the two button press to upload new code that was why I went with the CP2104.

I tried the Ctrl-D when I screened in but there was still no response. The red LED on the Huzzah was lit up however.

The problem still remains.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

[moved to the MicroPython forum]

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

tock, did you provide screen with the 115200 baud rate?

I'm going to pick up a huzzah breakout and will grab a cp2104 too. I should be able to test it this weekend or early next week.

tock

Post by tock »

I did. I ran the same command four times. Once with both lines plugged in, once with DTR plugged in, and once with RST plugged in and once with both lines unplugged. Only when I unplugged both lines was I able to screen onto the esp8266

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Could you please post a picture of your setup? I get my boards tomorrow and will try and replicate it.

tock

Post by tock »

Here is my picture!
cp2014.jpg
cp2014.jpg (141.48 KiB) Viewed 910 times

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Theres a trick circuit on the Feather Huzzah to auto enter the bootloader. Its not as simple as RTS and DTR AFAIK. The schematic is here: https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... 1458433763

Note I just fixed CircuitPython on the Huzzah breakout. I'll release 0.9.5 shortly with the fix.

tock

Post by tock »

Ah I see!

Thank you so much, I think I missed it when I was looking to wire up the CP2102.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”