Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

M0 Express does not appear as USB drive
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

M0 Express does not appear as USB drive

by chrisinsingapore2011 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:31 pm

Hi,

I'm trying my first M0 express. When I double tap the reset button I get the fading red pin 13 led and the neopixel on green, both doing what they should do. I can see the feather as COM23 in device manager/ports. But it does not appear as a USB drive. I have tried two different ports on the same computer and with two different USB cables (both are data cables as I used them to work with all my other feathers). I'm on a fully updated windows 10 computer, have restarted, retried, no success. Any tips?

chrisinsingapore2011

Re: M0 Express does not appear as USB drive

by chrisinsingapore2011 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:52 pm

I've also tried flashing with bossac. When I enter the command bossac -e -w -v -R -d adafruit-circuitpython-feather_m0_express-0.10.1.bin (I changed the filename to the updated version that I downloaded and placed in the bossac folder, and added -d for debug info), all I get is Set binary mode and that's it. I can only ctrl-C to get out, otherwise it just stays with no action.
I've also tried a 3rd confirmed USB data cable just in case.

chrisinsingapore2011

by chrisinsingapore2011 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:55 pm

One last attempt, if this gives any more tips. I also tried the Bossa with GUI. When I select the port from the pull down list (com22 when not in bootloader mode), as soon as I select the port the mouse cursor switches to the hourglass and the window stops responding

chrisinsingapore2011

by j_tinker on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 am

Sorry, I think I was in your position but I'm my recollection is fuzzy. I do remember something about the high COM number not being liked by something. I don't know if that was part of the flashing issue or a coincidence. I think technically it wasn't but I just assume if the system created 20+ abandoned COM ports, it may be having communication problems. So I rebooted and successfully flashed while I had a low COM number.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it was Putty when I tried to access a Serial REPL. This was the main reason I rebooted, but I think my later flash attempt was also successful shortly after this as well.

May be completely wrong it has anything to do with the flash, but at least its something try if you don't have anything else. Sorry I don't have more.

j_tinker

by dhalbert on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:52 am

Have you installed the Adafruit drivers package? Most of the drivers in this package are not needed for Windows 10, and in some cases they seem to interfere with detection of the board. Try removing all the drivers with "Adafruit" in their names from the list of install programs.

dhalbert

by chrisinsingapore2011 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi j_tinker and dhalbert, thanks for responding! I tried both. First was the USB port numbering and this didn't solve my problem, but did trigger me to do some house keeping and get rid of some no longer required USB ports. The trick was the suggestion by dhalbert - I removed all my Adafruit Windows Driver Packages with the control panel and the USB drive appeared! I may have to install some back in when I need them, but for this setup, you're right that removing them makes this work

chrisinsingapore2011

by adafruit2 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:07 pm

blah! ok we've updated the driver installer here
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... rivers.exe
it *shouldnt* let you install if you're running win 10
chris, do you mind checking the new driver and letting us know if thats true? i am running win 7 and don't have win10 right now :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

by chrisinsingapore2011 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:57 am

Hi 2,

I downloaded from the link and went through the steps. It only showed me Feather WICED, Trinket range, Feather Huzzah, and Metro 328 in the board drivers to install, but it DID let me install them. I couldn't find them in the Control Panel, Uninstall Programs when I went to get rid of them after the install test. Happy to try any new versions that you want me to.

Cheers
Chris

chrisinsingapore2011

by adafruit2 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:58 am

chris: thats fine, those are non-CDC USB devices. so going forward people won't trip up on the same issue :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.