Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Circuitpython sd card support for Feathers
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Circuitpython sd card support for Feathers

by dugganj on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 pm

I am confused about the official status of SD card support in circuitpython for the feather series, particularly the M0 Adalogger, the HUZZAH, and the M0 Express (the latter two with the SD card hardware on the RTC FeatherWing). Is SD supported, specifically in circuitpython??? If not, when will it be?? If so, is there a good tutorial on how to get it to work?

I am designing a small, self-contained data logger for a number of research projects we have going on. As such, I very much like the form factor, feature set, and hardware compatibility of the Feather product family. However, without SD card support, a Feather-based data logger is a non-starter.

I think I can use micropython for the HUZZAH, but need circuitpython for the M0 / M0 express. Is this correct?

Thanks!

jpd

dugganj

Re: Circuitpython sd card support for Feathers

by tannewt on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

SD cards are not currently supported in CircuitPython.

However, I'm actively working on support for them in 2.0.0 (the master branch on GitHub). I chose to wait until we updated to MicroPython 1.9.0+ (which 2.0.0 does) to add SD card support because it supports having multiple file systems mounted at once. I'm not willing to say exactly when it will be done, but its definitely high on my list.

In the meantime, yes MicroPython will also run on the Huzzah but not any M0. However, Arduino can be used with the M0 in the meantime.

I hope that helps clarify things!
~Scott

tannewt

by dugganj on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:11 pm

I have moral and philosophical objections to Arduino code, thus the very strong desire for python -- either micro or circuit flavored.

I'll start my work on the huzzah w/ micropython. Is it feasable to download the 2.0.0 code and build it myself?

jpd

dugganj

by tannewt on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:16 pm

Kk. Yup! Its in the master branch here: https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython

1.0 is now in the stable branch.

tannewt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.