Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Circuitpython for Feather Huzzah32 (ESP32)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Circuitpython for Feather Huzzah32 (ESP32)

by jokeeffe007 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 am

I've been having a blast with circuitpython on a number of your boards including the ESP8266 and I just bought a Feather Huzzah32. Unfortunately, most of the python based drivers you have released are for circuitpython. I'm trying to work up a clock using the DS3231 and seven segment I2C devices. I have this running on other boards under circuitpython (and would be happy to share the code if anybody is interested). My problem is that only the seven segment display has a released driver for micropython which is the only thing currently available for the ESP32 chip.

I need to make a choice of either back porting the circuitpython DS3231 module to micropython OR wait for a circuitpython release for the Huzzah32. Is there a release date for circuitpython on the ESP32 board? How about an alpha build? Or, some basic direction on how to build it for myself? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Jim

jokeeffe007

Re: Circuitpython for Feather Huzzah32 (ESP32)

by tannewt on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi Jim,
I'm excited you like CircuitPython! I haven't started the CircuitPython port to ESP32 yet but would base it on the MicroPython port. Its a little tricky now since its in a separate branch from master MicroPython.

To get it started you'd need to:
1) Merge the ESP32 changes into the CircuitPython master branch.
2) Add common-hal support for the ESP32 which implements the standard CircuitPython apis. More discussion of this is here: https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en ... n_hal.html

The second point is definitely the bulk of the work. If you are interested in helping with it, I'd be tempted to do #1 for you.

Another option would be to write a CircuitPython driver for the seven segment display. That way you can use the older boards for now but update to the Huzzah32 when we add support for it. Thats the benefit of the standard API CircuitPython has. :-)

Cheers,
Scott

tannewt

by jokeeffe007 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking time to talk about my project and thanks also for all the work you're doing to develop and port circuitpython. I spent the afternoon looking over the code Adafruit released as drivers for the DS3231 under circuitpython and the effort to port the *io modules. I think I'm going to start with the easier path and try to backport the DS3231 drivers. I have I2C code running under micropython on the Esp32 so I may be able to just bolt on the rest. After that, I'll think about the ESP32 port ;)

~Jim

jokeeffe007

by tannewt on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Sounds good Jim! You may be able to change I2CDevice for MicroPython too rather than the higher driver level. If you do, please release it because then more drivers could be portable. Thanks!

tannewt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.