Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Dont see CIRCUITPY drive on circuitplayground express using
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Dont see CIRCUITPY drive on circuitplayground express using

by Bill_r on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:28 pm

I was trying to follow Tony D's video on Circuit Playground Express with Windows 10. No problem using makecode to download and run programs. However, when I download adafruit-circuitpython-circuitplayground_express-1.0.0.uf2, I do not see a CIRCUITPY drive. When I open Device Manager and look at Ports, I see CircuitPlayground Express, but no com port number. Clicking on properties for the device, the device status states "No drivers are installed for this device. "

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? I tried 2 different Win 10 machines, one running Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.15063, the other running Windows 10 Home, version 1703, OS build 15063.483, with identical results.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill_r

Re: Dont see CIRCUITPY drive on circuitplayground express us

by tannewt on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi Bill,
How are you installing the uf2? Are you dragging it to a CPLAYBOOT drive?

Is the status led flashing any colors?
Thanks,
Scott

tannewt

by Bill_r on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:58 pm

Scott

I am dragging the file to the CPLAYBOOT drive. The status led flashes red while the file is downloaded, then all leds except power are extinguished.

I rebooted my windows machine and now see the CIRCUITPY drive after downloading the circuitpython file. If I open the CIRCUITPY drive, it contains one file, boot_out. Not sure if python is actually running, since I can't connect putty to the port.

When in the download mode, Ports in Device Manager shows USB SERIAL DEVICE(COM4). When I reset the board, this changes to CircuitPlayground Express, with no com port shown.

I tried copying the library bundle (not sure if I needed it) and the Blinky code.py sketch from the Metro M0 Express guide, but couldn't get it to run when I reset the board.

Any thoughts?

Bill

Bill_r

by dhalbert on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:17 am

Hi Bill,

There might be more than one problem here. Here are couple of issues that have come up on Windows in general, and Windows 10 in particular.

1. Did you ever install an older version of the Adafruit drivers package? It used to install some unnecessary drivers on Windows 10 which interfered with the native Windows 10 support. Look in the Windows 10 apps list and uninstall any drivers labeled "Adafruit". This may help make the COM port appear.

2. When you copy the CircuitPython driver folder and your code.py to CIRCUITPY, then do an Eject of the CIRCUITPY drive. This will insure that Windows completes the write to the drive. It can take Windows tens of seconds to actually complete the write; the Eject hurries this up.

dhalbert

by Bill_r on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

Hi Dhalbert

Thanks for your reply.

I did check for Adafruit drivers, and didn't find any. When I added the Adafruit Windows drivers I didn't see any difference, so removed them.

When I eject the CIRCUITPY drive, I see a notice that the drive can be safely removed, but Ports in Device Manager still shows CircuitPlaground Express with no port number.

Bill

Bill_r

by dhalbert on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 am

Hmm. Here's Ports in my Device Manager after uploading the CircuitPython .uf2 to my Circuit Playground Express. So you're saying you see "Circuit Playground Express" there instead of "USB Serial Device (COMx)"?

device-manager-cpx.PNG
device-manager-cpx.PNG (6.16 KiB) Viewed 444 times

Try right-clicking on the device you see and doing "Uninstall Driver...". Then if necessary, unplug and replug the CPX, and see if the plain "USB Serial Device" appears.

Re Eject: yes, Eject doesn't really mean Eject. The drive stays present. It really just gets it ready for safe removal.

dhalbert

by Bill_r on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:09 am

Dhalbert

Thank you for your suggestion!

I had tried "Updating driver" (with no success), but never thought to "Uninstall device".

Doing so, then unplugging and replugging the CPX, corrected the problem. Device manager now shows "USB Serial Device (COM7)" instead of "CircuitPlayground Express", and putty is happy to connect to COM7.

No idea what could have caused the problem, but great to resolve it.

Thanks again,

Bill

Bill_r

by tannewt on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks @dhalbert you rock! Glad you got things sorted out Bill.

tannewt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.