Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Gemma MO: CircuitPython or MicroPython
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Gemma MO: CircuitPython or MicroPython

by marine_hm on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:18 am

I Just purchased a Gemma MO. While waiting for it to arrive... I've been following Tony D's videos on micropython. But now I'm a bit confused. Am I supposed to be using MicroPython or CircuitPython? Are there "libraries" for different things such as the neopixels or BME sensors? For starters

Thanks

marine_hm

Re: Gemma MO: CircuitPython or MicroPython

by danhalbert on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:39 am

Gemma M0 runs CircuitPython, and it comes with CircuitPython pre-installed. CircuitPython is Adafruit's version of MicroPython. It is derived from (is a "fork of") MicroPython, with changes and additions. Some of Tony's early videos were made before we renamed the fork. In addition, some of Tony's videos describe other boards that run only MicroPython. The main differences are in the libraries and how I/O is done.

There are lots of libraries already, and there will be more. The best place to start is with the Gemma M0 Learn Guide. You'll see more sections added to the guide in the future, so keep checking. There's a bundle of all existing libraries, and we're adding more all the time: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... /releases/ .

danhalbert

by marine_hm on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:47 am

Thank you for the quick reply. Will check it out & bookmark both links.

marine_hm

by marine_hm on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 am

My Gemma MO came in the other day. I've only recently had time to play with it. I can't seem to get it to open the "drive?" Assuming that it should show up as a USB drive when plugged in. When I first plugged it into the USB, it installed the drivers.
The led to the right of the usb is now glowing and cycling through colors. When I double tap the reset button, the left red led is on and the right led goes green. So I know the Gemma MO is working as it should. Or, appears to be. I'm missing something.

How do I access the files on the Gemma MO?
It shows up in the comm port when looking at device manager screen, but that is all.
DM.JPG
DM.JPG (86.31 KiB) Viewed 666 times

Tried PUTTY Com18 at 115200 all I get is a black screen that just sits there.
This (copied from adafruit.com) does not come up:
putty.JPG
putty.JPG (25.99 KiB) Viewed 665 times

Please share some wisdom...

Note: I am running Windows 7 enterprise

marine_hm

by tannewt on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Did it automatically install drivers or did you follow the Learn guide to install drivers? Its possible the autoinstalled drivers are incorrect.

dhalbert or adafruit2 are better resources for setup on Windows 7 but they may be busy the next few days.

tannewt

by danhalbert on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Try right-clicking on the COM port in the Device Manager and choosing "Uninstall device..." (or maybe it's "Remove device..." -- I'm unfortunately not near a Windows computer right now to check). That will remove any specialized driver that was installed. Then unplug it and replug it in and see if CIRCUITPY or the xxxBOOT drive appear in a Windows Explorer window.

danhalbert

by marine_hm on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:39 pm

portsettings.JPG
portsettings.JPG (50.15 KiB) Viewed 648 times
driver.JPG
driver.JPG (65.2 KiB) Viewed 648 times

I uninstalled the driver and when I plugged the Gemma back in selected to not search the internet, selected: use file (browse).
I'm sure the driver is more current than 2007. but that's what it shows.

marine_hm

by marine_hm on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:47 pm

I deleted the drivers and did the whole process about 4 times. Now it comes up as CIRCUITPY (E:)
I guess I'm good for now. Time to dive in!!!!

Thanks!

marine_hm

by marine_hm on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:26 pm

Having troubles following tutorials. When I type import board and import machine... I get an error.
1. These are called APIs? Why are they not on the Gemma MO? Because of memory space? Download just what you need? If yes, where? and then when downloaded.. place them in the lib folder?
I'm trying to interface the Adafruit 12 segment RGB neopixel ring with the Gemma MO
Using PUTTY as the REPL or

2. Should I just be writing a file with Python 3.6.2 or Visual Studio Code? Save the file as main.py?

Thanks!
Last edited by marine_hm on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marine_hm

by tannewt on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 pm

What tutorials are you trying? Those that import machine are for MicroPython and not CircuitPython. board is available on CircuitPython.

There are sometimes folks on Discord that can help in real-time too. http://adafru.it/discord

tannewt

by marine_hm on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 pm

You are correct. I didn't notice that the subtitle says micropython.

Currently trying this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAhLBSLfnuQ&t=1144s
Tony Di is using the Circuit playground board. I don;t see it being much different except turning on onboard neopixel instead or the 12 neopixel ring.

Still some issues... Odd now putty won't connect. checking out com port; Gemma is now showing up as "Teensy USB Serial" (COM18)

Unplugged and plugged it back in. Back to GemmaMO.
Here's my error as I'm typing code as Tony Di is. The Youtube screen is fuzzy. Maybe I'm missing a space or added a comma that's not supposed to be there.
error.JPG
error.JPG (41.92 KiB) Viewed 582 times

marine_hm

by marine_hm on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 am

I got up this morning to give it another go... Now CIRCUITPYTHON (E:) does not show up when I plug the Gemma MO into the USB.
Back to square 1. I'm starting to reconsider the MO. Reinstall the drivers...

FRUSTRATED!

marine_hm

by danhalbert on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 am

If you double-click reset quickly, does the GEMMABOOT drive appear?

Between the time it was working and the time CIRCUITPY stopped appearing, did you install/uninstall any drivers? Did you update or installl the Arduino IDE or run it during that interval?

Sorry this has been difficult. Just trying to track down any reproducible changes. I will attempt to reproduce this on a Win 7 machine. In the meantime, if you have a win 10 machine or Mac, try those.

danhalbert

by marine_hm on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:54 am

No. I closed my laptop and went to bed. When I got up, the Gemma was still glowing. Yeah, I forgot it has a switch. I opened up PUTYY to try typing some more commands to see what I can do. It does not show up as a drive.

I've uninstalled it like 6 times or more. Tried reinstalling the drivers both through windows and manually, NOTHING!
Interestingly enough. I will mention: when plugged in it shows on com 18 and when I double-click, it switches to com 19.

marine_hm

by marine_hm on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am

This is what happens when I uninstall the board and plug it back in:
Drivers.JPG
Drivers.JPG (67.36 KiB) Viewed 558 times

Then, When I install the drivers. Circuitpy goes away.

Whew! OK. It's back up. Doing a restart computer. Maybe it's not saving settings when it shuts down abruptly?

marine_hm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.