Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

CircuitPython and Android
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CircuitPython and Android

by geekguy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 pm

I recently got a CircuitPython Express and a Feather M0 Express. However, the only thing I have available to use as a terminal is my Android phone. Using a serial terminal app, I can get the output from my CircuitPython Express, but can not see the CPlay SPI flash drive at all after I reset it (all pixels green). Am I just out of luck with this setup or is there a way to do it??

8-Dale

geekguy

Re: CircuitPython and Android

by tannewt on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:32 pm

We've tried to get it to work with android phones but haven't had a ton of success. We would like to figure out something in the future but my understanding is that the serial apps are all kinda funky and I don't know how the file management is done. Do you have any computers available to use with it? They can even be shared (like the library) since the code is stored on the device.

Cheers,
Scott

tannewt

by geekguy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:37 pm

I was afraid of that.

I may be able to use a computer at our library to check this out. It just depends on how much they are locked down. I know they are re-imaged after each user ends a session.

I need to go there so I can write an SD card for my Raspberry Pi 3. Yes, all the Android serial apps I have tried so far seem to be at least somewhat funky.

Thanks,

8-Dale

geekguy

by tannewt on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Keep us posted on how the library goes! I'd love to know how well that workflow works with CircuitPython.

tannewt

by geekguy on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Do you think there is just an issue with Android that makes serial communications flaky, or something else?

It seems like I used to be able to get USB flash drives to work, but now it does not seem to work. I do get the notification that the CPlay drive has been mounted, but can not seem to access it. I can not find a mount point for it on my phone. This is with Android M on an LG G4.

I will go to the library sometime next week hopefully. Right now, I am trying to line up a new place to live and tinker.

8-Dale

geekguy

by tannewt on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:19 pm

I honestly don't know. It could be a mix of both CircuitPython handling Android quirks weirdly or just Android. Sorry I don't know more.

Cheers,
Scott

tannewt

by geekguy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks to assistance in another thread, I can now access both my Express boards from my Android phone using DroidTerm Pro. Now, I can really start tinkering!

8-Dale

geekguy

by geekguy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:09 pm

I am still unable to access the CPlay drive from Android. It feels like I am so close to success, but just do not have quite the right apps to allow me to put code on my boards.

8-Dale

geekguy

by DrewTheOgre on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:20 pm

OK, so, I managed to get both my CPX and my Gemma M0 to mount and be accessible on my tablet over mass storage. Not sure what other file management apps do, but Cheeta Mobile's File Manager (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rhmsoft.fm) finds both, and they show up as usbotg-sda1. Whatever you do, don't let Android claim the storage for it's own use, or do the automatic "open with" prompt that may pop up on connection, because that appears to not work at this point.

I also get output over serial from DroidTerm, but that's about as far as I can test that, since I'm having no luck figuring out how to send Ctrl+D.

Also, for an editor, I'm using DroidEdit Free (no link cuz that one's easy to search for and I'm lazy), but I'm not having much luck finding the mountpoint from it's native open dialog; I have to actually open things from File Manager. Save works though, so I'm not gonna complain much about that since I also get syntax hilighting.

DrewTheOgre

by geekguy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:16 pm

I use DroidTerm and DroidEdit Pro versions. I tried that file manager, but it does not work for me.

I leave my CircuitPython Express or Feather M0 Express in regular use mode and can not see the CPlay drive.

Do you see it at a specific mount point??

8-Dale

geekguy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.