Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

M0 Express does not appear as USB drive on Windows
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

M0 Express does not appear as USB drive on Windows

by idontneedthis on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 pm

My Feather M0 Express will not do anything under Windows 7 or 8, other than show up in Device Manager. The alleged 1.5 Adafruit drivers install OK (I tried every Adafruit Windows driver package I could find, such as 1.0, 1.1 & maybe others, but it is difficult to tell which version is what since Adafruit doesn't identify them very well -- all I can guess is that 1.1.0.0 might be the latest). Since one fix worked for a previous poster, I deleted all previous Adafruit Windows drivers, and re-installed what is said to be the current 1.5 driver package. Windows says the drivers installed OK, and the Feather M0 Express shows up as such in Device Manager. It also goes into boot mode OK. But I still never get the FEATHERBOOT drive, nor can I connect using PuTTY. I can't load any programs from Arduino because it says board not found. It works OK with my Mac and a Raspberry Pi. I easily get the FEATHERBOOT drive on those devices.

My Metro M0 Express does work mostly OK under Windows (other than showing up as "teensy usb serial" in Device Manager when in boot mode). I see the CIRCUITPY drive with the Metro M0 Express, and updated the firmware on both M0 Express devices to Bootloader V1.22.0.

I am able to load Circuit Python on my Feather M0 Basic under Windows.

[Update} Well, wait a minute. I tried uninstalling the device, in Device Manager, and reinstalling. This looked like it worked, though with some strange drivers. Now, in Device Manager, it shows the device as yet another "teensy" device, but now I get a USB python drive. Windows prompted me to "fix" this drive, so I let it (what the heck, what have I got to lose?). The USB drive is now named "Removable Disk (D:)." However, it does look like the right thing, and even has the sample main.py file I wrote a while back, plus I can connect with PuTTY now. This doesn't make any sense to me, but if it works in the end, then I guess that's OK. I do wish the Adafruit driver did a better job.

idontneedthis

Re: M0 Express does not appear as USB drive on Windows

by idontneedthis on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:16 pm

Here are the "new" drivers"

Composite Device
Teensy USB Serial (COM54)
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Input Device
USB Input Device [yes, twice]
ATMEL CircuitPython VF USB Device

I sure wish Device Manager reported as Feather M0 Express, and the USB drive was FEATHERBOOT, but you learn to live with stuff like this. The USB drive doesn't show up when the M0 is in boot mode -- only when it isn't.

idontneedthis

by tannewt on Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:12 am

Do you have drivers installed for the Teensy also? Perhaps there is a conflict there.

Based on your update it sounds like everything is going OK minus the Device Manager identification. Is that true?

tannewt

by danhalbert on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:10 am

If there are multiple drivers that appear compatible to Windows, it has to choose which one to use, and sometimes it gets it wrong, from the user's point of view. I hope everything is OK now, but if not we could collect more data. Screenshots are very helpful (show what's in Device Manager, etc.), and also, this command collects info about all existing drivers:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
C:\Users\yourusername> driverquery/v >Users\yourusername\Desktop\driverquery.txt

If you run it before and after you plug in the device that's having trouble, that can show which driver it's trying to use. Also, if another device works fine, unplug the troublesome one, and plug in the working on, and then we can compare. Collect the files and post them here

danhalbert

by danhalbert on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi - we may have a workaround to the driver problems. It has to do with plugging in the board and doing the installation in a particular order, carefully. Could you try this workaround guide we just wrote: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... boards-faq

If you do try it, let us know if it works for you. Thanks!

danhalbert

by idontneedthis on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:45 am

There is no "add/remove programs" in Windows 7. It was taken out in maybe 2009. Thus your procedure fails at step 1, and it is obvious that you didn't even test this to see if it worked.

The way to remove usb drivers now is to open a command prompt as administrator, and enter "pnputil -e"

When you find the driver(s) to remove, use "pnputil.exe -d OemNUMBER.inf" and replace "NUMBER" from the driver you want to uninstall.

Just entering "pnputil" by itself gives the options

idontneedthis

by idontneedthis on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:53 am

My M0 devices most often show up as Teensy devices, in Windows 7. I have a couple Teensy devices (all purchased from Adafruit). Their devices show up when using pnputil as "PJRC.COM" devices, and deleting them is probably a good idea to get M0 stuff working. After possibly getting the Adafruit M0 drivers to work, reinstall the Teensy drivers, and see if their is a conflict. Since Adafruit also sells Teensy devices, I am surprised that nobody there ever noticed a conflict before.

As is always the case, there is no way to know which version of Adafruit drivers you are downloading. Does the link from a 2009 article go to the latest drivers? I assume the latest drivers are 1.5, but, as I said, there is no way to know for sure.

idontneedthis

by idontneedthis on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 am

"C:\Users\yourusername> driverquery/v >Users\yourusername\Desktop\driverquery.txt"

This really doesn't seem to work.

If you want to be in the username folder, then CD C:\users\username

Then enter driverquery/v and pipe it to a file in the root directory, to make it easy to find. Such as:

driverquery/v > C:\driverquery.txt [there is a space between /v and >, so use cut and paste]

idontneedthis

by tannewt on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:31 am

idontneedthis wrote:There is no "add/remove programs" in Windows 7. It was taken out in maybe 2009. Thus your procedure fails at step 1, and it is obvious that you didn't even test this to see if it worked.

The way to remove usb drivers now is to open a command prompt as administrator, and enter "pnputil -e"

When you find the driver(s) to remove, use "pnputil.exe -d OemNUMBER.inf" and replace "NUMBER" from the driver you want to uninstall.

Just entering "pnputil" by itself gives the options

Please stop asserting that we haven't tested this. I understand its frustrating that it doesn't work but its no reason to imply ill will. Its complicated.

dhalbert has been doing his best to sort out all of these issues by experimenting with his Windows 7 setup. Please provide as much detail as you can about your specific setup including exact version of windows, relevant (teensy) driver versions and links to docs you are following for instructions. We'll do our best to get it working but every setup is slightly different which makes testing really hard.

tannewt

by danhalbert on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:52 am

Never mind about the driverquery stuff. It doesn't report the information we need. There was a typo in my command line.

If you go to Control Panel->Programs->Uninstall a Program, that's the "Add/Remove Programs" I'm talking about. Yes, I was using the older terminology. Sorry - I fixed that. The Adafruit driver packages do appear in that list, except for the Teensy driver. Not all drivers show up in the list there - it's a flag given to the driver install program about whether it shows up on the list or not. We chose to make it show.

pnputil is a low-level way of dealing with drivers. You can also uninstall drivers from the Device Manager, which I described, without having to know the oemXX.inf number.

I am working on a simpler fix procedure. This is a complicated problem: the UF2 MSC device (mass storage, aka USB drive) sometimes mistakenly appears as the UF2 CDC device (COM port), and we're looking for the root cause. When it happens, the sequence of events that leads to the problem is not clear. Sometimes I think I have a repeatable procedure for creating the problem, and then it doesn't show up, and vice versa.

The Teensy driver is based on device class, not USB VID/PID. So it acts as a backstop, and will install for any CDC device that doesn't have a more specific driver. This can cause problems, because it will get chosen for devices that don't have drivers installed, and when the driver is installed, the Teensy choice will still be present.

Some older Learn Guides pointed to specific driver downloads and should be fixed. If you go to the GitHub release page, you can find the latest version: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... s/releases. I'm working on a simplified driver package that incorporates all the usbser drivers into a single .inf so there are not multiple installs.

danhalbert

by danhalbert on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:28 pm

We've now come up with a new driver package which we believe should fix the Windows 7 problems. You just need to uininstall the existing drivers and install the new package. Follow the revised (much simpler) procedure here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... boards-faq

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.