Trinket MO, CircuitPython 2.0.0 lib too big

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jimb137

Trinket MO, CircuitPython 2.0.0 lib too big

Post by jimb137 »

I have a Trinket MO and a Feather MO Express that I'm trying to upgrade to CitcuitPython 2.0.0. The install on the Feather went smooth, and all is well there. However, the Trinket MO is another issue. I installed the appropriate .uf2 file (adafruit-circuitpython-trinket_m0-2.0.0), then went to install the lib bundle. According to windows property sheets, the lib is ~100KB in size, and the CIRCUITPY drive is only ~60KB. Obviously, you can't put 5 pounds of anything in a 3 pound sack.

Since I'm a relative newbie to python and circuitpython, I would not know which modules to exclude when shoehorning the lib into the 60KB. And I'll have to reserve some space for MY code! (how much?)

According to the 2.0.0 release notes on github it's all so simple. All I have to do is drag and drop. Here's what those notes say:

"Have a Feather M0 Express, Metro M0 Express, Gemma M0, Trinket M0 or Circuit Playground Express? Download a .uf2 and follow these instructions. To install our libraries simply download the bundle for your release and copy the lib folder onto your CIRCUITPY drive."

Somebody, please help me out... what should I omit, or must I include? Is there any way to grow the CIRCUITPY filesystem? Or is the Trinket MO just too small for CP2.0.0?

Thanks

danhalbert

Re: Trinket MO, CircuitPython 2.0.0 lib too big

Post by danhalbert »

Here you can find a .zip of the CircuitPython 2.0.0 files that are now shipping on the Trinket M0: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tri ... /downloads. A basic set of libraries is included that you'll find useful and that fits, such as adafruit_hid, adafruit_dotstar, and neopixel.

The complete library bundle includes a bunch of drivers for specific devices. You don't need everything in that package by any means: it's just meant to be a convenient bundle. You can pick and choose if you need more than is included in the .zip mentioned above.

jimb137

Post by jimb137 »

Thanks, Dan.

That was exactly what I was looking for. I found the release 1.0.0 stuff a few days ago, but that wouldn't work. This does. A simple download, unzip, and drag&drop.

Thanks, again.

Jim

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Hi Jim,
Managing libraries on the Trinket M0 is a bit trickier as you've found out. I wrote up a general approach to loading just the libraries you need here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tri ... ess-boards

Hopefully, that'll help in the long run.
Cheers,
Scott

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”