Trying to install Circuitpython on M0 clone

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kekerino

Trying to install Circuitpython on M0 clone

Post by kekerino »

I got an Arduino M0 clone the other day, and I'm at my wit's end trying to install Circuitpython on this board. I just knew it was SAMD21 but I had no idea how much of a PITA it was compared to just getting an M0 Express from here or even just a regular Zero. I think I have two issues. I've tried the board with many cables and I can never get it to reliably show up in Windows on either of my computers as itself. Sometimes it shows up as "Unknown Device" or "USB Serial Device" but very rarely as what it should show up as, which is "XYZduino M0" or close to that, I only saw it twice.

My second problem is that I was reading this page on Adafruit: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... stallation
and it says "One special note, if you're using the Arduino M0...", which I am, but this page seems to imply I need a $70 adapter for this one time job of flashing the bootloader to the Zero's bootloader, since it's not a Zero and therefore doesn't have EDBG programming ability.

Franklin97355

Re: Trying to install Circuitpython on M0 clone

Post by Franklin97355 »

I think just getting an Adafruit Feather would be way less hassle.

fos

Post by fos »

I agree with Franklin. Adafruit's quality and support are exceptional.

v/r
Jeff

kekerino

Post by kekerino »

I ordered a feather! Waiting for it to come now. I'll probably return the clone.

PJE

Post by PJE »

I'm building a one/two handed chording keyboard, and thought I'd try CircuitPython....

I flashed a modified M0 Trinket UF2 bootloader (I don't have the NEO Pixel, just a simple red LED), for which I used the $20 J-Link EDU Mini (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3571), and built a new version of CircuitPython with my configuration.

The issue I'm running up on is when trying to use the adafruit_hid library it keeps throwing an error for 'no module named 'usb_hid''.

I'm currently using 3.0.0-alpha.3-19.... I may drop down to 2.2.4 - which is what I thought I was working on originally.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

PJE, a new thread would be more helpful. However, the answer for you is simple. usb_hid isn't supported in 3.0.0 Alpha yet. Follow this issue to be updated when its added: https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues/267

PJE

Post by PJE »

Thanks, I'll drop back to V2 tonight - I only really need USB_HID and basic I/O for this applicaiton.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”