MU editor and Raspberry Pi 3
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

MU editor and Raspberry Pi 3

by geekguy on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to install the MU editor on a Raspberry Pi 3, both under Raspbian Stretch and Ubuntu MATE 16.04. I can not get it installed on either one. It can not find some dependencies, such as PyChart and qscintilla. I am using the command

"pip3 install mu_editor"

Is there some other way I could install MU?

8-Dale

geekguy

Re: MU editor and Raspberry Pi 3

by f11 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:27 pm

I just went through this process. It turns out the RPi-Raspbian combo is a special-case of installation on Linux. There is a link embedded in the instructions which takes you to a Pi-specific page which shows how to install from the command line, which I know works (assuming you've already installed Python3). Installation on a Pi3 is as simple as

<sudo apt-get install mu-editor>

Your problem will then become running the editor on a Pi - Mu is a GUI based editor, and that means running it on the Raspbian desktop instead of from the Pi3 command line. If you're using a hard-wired HDMI connection, that's not a big deal. But if you prefer to login via ssh over a wired or wireless network (ie you run your Pi3 headless), then you have to deal with running a VNC connection between your workstation and the Pi. I've been trying to get the screen resolution and sizing configuration between my MacBook Pro laptop screen and my RPi3 native desktop, and its been a PITA. The Mu editor doesn't seem to check whether it fits inside the desktop space available and doesn't remember its window's size and location between uses. I often see the Mu editor start up with only about 2/3's of its screen visible or accessible. Not friendly. I'm going to try TeamViewer VNC next to see if it can control this beast.

Hopefully you're using an HDMI connection between your workstation and the Pi3 - if so, running the above installation command should get you moving again.

f11

by danhalbert on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Instead of VNC, an alternative would be to use an X server. I just tried RPi mu-editor and did
ssh -Y pi@raspberrypi.home
from my Linux box. Running mu-editor then displays it properly without having to use VNC.

For MacOS, you could use XQuartz: https://www.xquartz.org/index.html. There hasn't been a new release since 2016, but I just tried it on a High Sierra machine and it worked with mu-editor on a Pi, albeit with some significant latency. Of course you could also just install mu directly on the Mac.

danhalbert

by kenidowa on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:02 am

I have been using my Rpi3 to edit and load my CircuitPython processors using Thonny or Python3(Idle). This works but I use Putty (SSH) for serial interaction with each board. It would be nice I think to use Mu-editor. I have tried various methods to load Mu and it does seem to be loaded but not operational. It shows in the programming drop down menu but selecting it does nothing. When I try to engage on a command line, it gives me a long Traceback list. It seems to be looking for urllib3<1.24,>=1.21.1, which says it was not found. When I did a Add/Remove Sofware search it found urllib3-1.19.1. I have tried installs of later versions using apt-get install urllib3-1.21.1 and pip3 install urllib3-1.21.1 with not found responses. I like the idea of the integration of the editor and serial terminal in one that Mu shows. I am running Raspian Stretch with the latest update/dist-upgrade.

Any thoughts out there?
Thanks
Ken

kenidowa

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.