Itsy bitsy M4 Touchio

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kenidowa

Itsy bitsy M4 Touchio

Post by kenidowa »

So have a Trinket MO and ItsyBitsy MO and now a an ItsyBitsy M4. Downloaded a circuitypython file that I run the I_B MO that uses touchio and didn't work. Then I see a note on the CAP Touch link that states Touch is not supported on the M4 versions. That is unfortunate. Will it be.
Porting the code up the line to supposedly more capable boards is problematic.
thanks,
Ken

tannewt

Re: Itsy bitsy M4 Touchio

Post by tannewt »

We'll get to it at some point but its not simple. I looked at it for a while but didn't get it going. Its the one part of the chip that isn't well documented.

Anyone wanting to help is more than welcome!
~Scott

kenidowa

Post by kenidowa »

So looking at the D21 data sheet that I believe is on the MO version of the I_B and the D51 that is on the I_B M4 both have the PTC and the description look very similar not sure why the code for the MO couldn't be used for the M4 maybe with slight mods. Maybe there are different pins used but the basic concept should be the same.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

That's what I thought too. That's why I looked into it. However, it didn't seem that simple.

Please take a look though! It would be nice to have.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

The datasheet is deliberately obscure because they provide a (large) binary blob library, which differs somewhat between the two, and needs to be reverse-engineered for the SAMD51.

kenidowa

Post by kenidowa »

Any more thoughts on getting touchio on the M4's?

kenidowa

Post by kenidowa »

A couple thoughts/question on ItsyBitsy M4 Touchio. Has the code used on the M0 version been tried on the M4 version? If not is it possible to generate experimental code that does that and see if it works? Looking thru the Microchip/Atmel documents it looks as if they have not even updated their documentation to show what the Qtouch modular library covers for the SAMD51's. Although I did try using the http://start.atmel.com/ web based tool to generate code, but it is C++ and I wouldn't know how that could convert to an MPY. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ken

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

I looked into it enough to know that we can't just copy it over.

The atmel start code is usually both C and C++. touchio is C internally so it'd go here: https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpyth ... /TouchIn.c

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”