Trouble flashing a NeoTrellis M4 Express
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trouble flashing a NeoTrellis M4 Express

by cotarg on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm

So I finally bought a NeoTrellis and I'm super excited to play with it, but I appear to be having difficulties.

I'm using a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro, both 2015 machines. The pro is on OSX Sierra, and the Air is on Mojave.

When I get the TRELMBOOT drive via the reset button I see it appear on my laptop, in the side bar, etc. However, when I drag the uf2 image to the boot drive, it copies, I get the slow flash green led on the back, and...nothing. It doesn't show up in my finder anywhere. If I check the system profiler it seems to show up as a Trellis device, but I get minimal information.

Is this a Mac issue, a Trellis issue, or did I just get unlucky? Has anyone had this problem before?

cotarg

Re: Trouble flashing a NeoTrellis M4 Express

by tannewt2 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Sorry for the difficulties!

I develop on a Mac OSX Mojave so I'd expect it to work. Is it plugged into any hubs? Have you tried restarting the computer since you flashed CircuitPython?

The slow green fade is a good sign CircuitPython is running ok.

Feel free to ping me on Discord (https://adafru.it/discord) if you want faster help debugging.

tannewt2

by danhalbert on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Several Adafruit folks debugged this via discord, and it appears there's a hardware problem with this board. Could you post a picture of the back of the board so we can see if it's something obvious? If we don't see anything, email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your order number, and they'll get you a replacement. Sorry it's not working for you.

danhalbert

by cotarg on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 pm

Here's a pic of the board. I don't see anything obviously wrong, but I also don't know what I'm looking for. :(
trellis.jpg
trellis.jpg (637.45 KiB) Viewed 154 times

cotarg

by danhalbert on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 pm

If you use a magnifying glass, does the flash chip say "Winbond"? It is this chip.
Selection_310.png
Selection_310.png (429.91 KiB) Viewed 142 times

Could you try this version of CircuitPython? Get to the boot drive and copy it as usual. Then go to screen and do
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
import storage
storage.erase_filesystem()

as you did before, and see if CIRCUITPY shows up this time (You'll need to erase the filesystem before it shows up.)
trelm4-gc25q64c-w25q64jv_iq-coq-Gc531f0b6a.uf2
(426 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

danhalbert

by cotarg on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm

It worked!!!

Does this mean I should cancel the replacement order?

(Also, yes, it is a Winbond chip.)

cotarg

by danhalbert on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Great! I'm checking on the replacement order, should know before the email gets read on Monday. For some reason your board went out with an equivalent flash chip. It does the same thing but is different enough that it requires different code to support it.

danhalbert

by danhalbert on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Go ahead and cancel the replacement order. We've added support for the chip on your board to all future releases. "Official" latest is at https://adafruit-circuit-python.s3.amaz ... 678a5a.uf2 at the moment, and it will be in the upcoming alpha and later releases. Thanks for the picture -- that was the big clue.

danhalbert

by adafruit2 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:02 pm

cotarg, hiya if you still have it, please post a photo of the sticker on the antistat bag - it has work order # and some barcodes that we can use to track it's manufacutre. we're tring to figure out how the mix happened :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.