Merto M4 external interrupts and circuitpython
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Merto M4 external interrupts and circuitpython

by ltheoret on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi,

In the circuitpython docs, it lists that the API does not support external interrupts for the SAMD21 or M0, but is this also the case for the SAMD51 or M4.
I have a project (a wind vain) that would require an external interrupt to measure pulses.
At first I was going to use a feather M0 with Arduino IDE talking to an arduino ZERO (the ZERO does not have enough pins for my monitoring system) connected to YUN shield. but now with all the new stuff coming out like the grand central. I thought I could eliminate all this and use one Grand Central connected to nRF24L01 (I could change to newer technology). I already have an nRF24L01 base that collects data and passes it on to a YUN shield who logs to MySQL.

Ltheoret.

ltheoret

Re: Merto M4 external interrupts and circuitpython

by tannewt2 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:37 am

Hi Ltheoret,
We don't have external interrupts into Python on the SAMD51 either. However, PulseIn can be used to measure low frequencies of pulses. What exactly about pulses are you trying to measure?
~Scott

tannewt2

Re: Merto M4 external interrupts and circuitpython

by ltheoret on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi Scott,

I want the measure the wind speed from a wind vain. one revolution is 3 mph. plus with this same board I am measuring 3 different environment, One out door and 2 indoor. Also the status of all the doors if they are opened or closed if the door is locked or not. My original design was for an arduino Zero attached to YUN shield (Which I have) but the Zero doesn't have enough pin so I was going to attache an arduino MKR Zero (which I have) to measure the wind vain. the MKR would be connected serially to the Zero. But experimenting last nigh I found that the nRF24L01 is not yet supported by the adafruit M4 family, seams to work with the adafruit M0 family, but i want an M4.
But still, I like to play. I will try to get the wind vain to work with python.
Thanks for the reply.

Ltheoret

ltheoret

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.