Console-based serial terminal for Windows/Visual Studio Code
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Console-based serial terminal for Windows/Visual Studio Code

by fasteddy516 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm

I'm not sure where the best place is to share this, but:

I've written a simple serial terminal in C# that runs as a Windows Console application (i.e. in command prompt or powershell). It should work with most devices that show up as "COMx" in Device Manager, but I wrote it specifically to work in a terminal window in Visual Studio Code with CircuitPython devices. It includes COM port auto detection, automatic re-connection (if you disconnect and reconnect your device), and uses USB VID and PID values to identify and give preference to CircuitPython-capable devices. The idea was to get a serial monitor in VSCode that was as simple and functional as the serial monitor in the Mu editor. (I like the Mu editor quite a bit, but I do a lot of other work in Visual Studio Code and found switching between the two frustrating - particularly since I use CTRL-H in VSCode all the time!) I've attached a screenshot to this message showing it in action in a Visual Studio Code terminal window.

Everything is available on Github, so anyone who is interested is welcome to check it out at https://github.com/fasteddy516/SimplySerial. If you find it useful (or not), I'd love to hear from you!

In the interest of fair warning and full disclosure, I am new to object-oriented programming in general, new to the .NET framework and C# specifically, and still pretty new to Git/Github, so this is very much a "learning project" for me. I welcome any comments/suggestions from more experienced developers out there.

simplyserial_small.png
simplyserial_small.png (64.51 KiB) Viewed 30 times

fasteddy516

Re: Console-based serial terminal for Windows/Visual Studio

by tannewt2 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Nice! Thank you for sharing!

tannewt2

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.