In need of some troubleshooting advice.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

In need of some troubleshooting advice.

by dramaticscience on Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:44 pm

When I follow the posted instructions for installing circuitpython onto my Hallowing M0 as soon as the UF2 file has been loaded, my Lenovo Flex 5 (Windows 10) loses touchpad capability, and the readout on the LCD display for the Hallowing is garbled. As long as I have a peripheral mouse I can still operate things on the computer, but it was a strange artifact in the process I thought someone might want to be aware of? Anyway...

I was able to install the file successfully using a different computer (Windows 10) and create some rudimentary code to run on the Hallowing using Mu. If I then unplug from that computer and plug the Hallowing back into the Lenovo the touchpad once again locks up and the Hallowing LCD display is garbled HOWEVER, the code itself appears to run properly.

I am a very novice programmer with only a superficial understanding for how all of these things works, so hoping to learn a little bit from this experience and maybe highlight a bug that I hadn't seen tagged in other posts.

dramaticscience

Re: In need of some troubleshooting advice.

by dastels on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:10 pm

That's bizarre!

I put a query out to the CircuitPython folks to see if anyone's seen that behavior.

Dave

dastels

by danhalbert on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:31 pm

The touchpad going off is due to the mouse HID device provided by CircuitPython. You could change a setting on your laptop to not disable the touchpad when an external pointing device is plugged in, which would solve that problem

Could you take a picture or movie (if needed) of the "garbling" and post it? Thanks.

danhalbert

by dastels on Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Ah right. I remember laptop setting like that (I haven't used a laptop much in years). Sounds like something for an FAQ page.

dastels

by flyingblindonarocketcycle on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:19 pm

I am having this same issue on my windows 10 pro SurfaceBook. I do have the touch pad set to auto disable when a mouse is connected. I would like to keep that setting if I could. Do I have any other option?

Thanks

flyingblindonarocketcycle

by danhalbert on Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:07 pm

Sorry, currently there are no other simple options. The CircuitPython board is going to appear as a mouse. It’s possible to build a custom version of CircuitPython to turn that off, but it’s not so easy for the casual user.

We have future plans to make it possible to customize which HID devices are made available, but we haven’t done that yet.

On some laptops there is a function that enables/disables the touchpad, but I don’t think the Surface has such a key. I looked for some app that might allow you to add a hot key, but I didn’t find one. The Surface App might have that, but I don’t see an indication that it does.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.