Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

What do you want from CircuitPython in 2020?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What do you want from CircuitPython in 2020?

by Adaveach on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:11 pm

Ok, well.
I'm looking at the newsletter and one of the things it starts off with is a request for input - just one reason I love Adafruit and CircuitPython - and some suggestions for how to submit the ideas. I clicked the Forums link (expecting to find this forum with all kinds of ideas) but, well here I am creating a topic.

So, what do I want to from CircuitPython in 2020?
More of 2019. The pace of the improvements was frankly - phenomenal to me. The community was awesome and I don't see the curve of improvements flattening at all.
But, that's not what was asked for, continuation of the status quo within the community.
So, I'd like to see the community expand. The Raspberry Pi Organization seems like a good model to me. CodeDojos, Code Clubs and meetups. The Newsletters and Discord Forum are awesome but even as an ISTJ, sometimes I like and need to get face to face with someone and their hardware (or in this case Software) to really make a connection. And once a year remote "Pycons" are great but just not cost effective (to me).
And so, there it is.
#CircuitPython2020
email forthcoming, have a nice day y'll

Adaveach

Re: What do you want from CircuitPython in 2020?

by kattni on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:58 pm

Thank you for your response to the CircuitPython 2020 call! We'll get your response added to our list and included in our posts about it. Cheers!

kattni

by timgtech on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:00 am

CircuitPython seems to have everything under the sun that i can imagine. Using it with a Crickit makes for an amazing robotics platform.
What is a hang up for me with my current project is that I need to drive several motors in the 9-12v range drawing up to a few amps each. I would like to see an enhanced version of the Crickit (or something similar that could drive up to 4 motors or 2 steppers (or 2/1 combination) supplied with up to 12v. And of course CP enhancements necessary to support it.

#CircuitPython2020

timgtech

by wminarik on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:34 am

Micropython and Circuitpython have wonderful enablers of microcontroller programming and the creative use of electronics in projects. Circuitpython is especially easy; drag a code block onto a USB device and it runs. Since Python is somewhat self-documenting, beginners can see what the code does and modify it with quick repeats. Both varieties have matured and are capable of supporting complex projects -Python on microcontrollers is my preferred way to develop. I’m disappointed when I have to revert to C language programming.

The one new feature I’ll like to have in Circuitpython are simple interrupts. I’ve followed the GitHub (issue #1380) and Trio discussion (#154) and I understand that it’s a complex problem with likely several parallel solutions. I’m appreciative of the effort and thought that Dan Halbert has put into this topic.

Implementing a version of the Micropython switch callback for GPIO pins with its limitations would still be a bit step forward.

i.e: [b]InputPin.callback(lambda: +=counter)[\b]

Some uses: Something that counts events that occur at a random interval, such as radioactive decays, cars passing a point, or birds at a feeder. Each event increments an existing integer counter, so no memory allocation is necessary.

The main duty loop of the program then checks this counter whenever it gets around to it, and by dividing by the time interval since the last time, can get a rate before reseting the counter. Since the interval is variable, the ability to know the precise time is critical.

Hence I add my voice for: Support for better time (Jeff Epler)
https://blog.adafruit.com/2020/01/02/jeffs-ideas-for-python-on-hardware-in-2020-time-timekeeping/

Happy New Year!

wminarik

by Pablo020 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Love MicroPython / Circuitpython ... wat I would like to see most:
- A network stack (HTTP/HTTPS) available for Ethernet cable connection.
- A webbased firmware distribution builder option which can select the various kernel flags ... I can handle scripting some python scripts, but / however ... running distribution builds is not my thang!

Pablo020

by i03oo3 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm

I'll second this. Would love to see an easy to use timer/interrupt implementation.

wminarik wrote:Micropython and Circuitpython have wonderful enablers of microcontroller programming and the creative use of electronics in projects. Circuitpython is especially easy; drag a code block onto a USB device and it runs. Since Python is somewhat self-documenting, beginners can see what the code does and modify it with quick repeats. Both varieties have matured and are capable of supporting complex projects -Python on microcontrollers is my preferred way to develop. I’m disappointed when I have to revert to C language programming.

The one new feature I’ll like to have in Circuitpython are simple interrupts. I’ve followed the GitHub (issue #1380) and Trio discussion (#154) and I understand that it’s a complex problem with likely several parallel solutions. I’m appreciative of the effort and thought that Dan Halbert has put into this topic.

Implementing a version of the Micropython switch callback for GPIO pins with its limitations would still be a bit step forward.

i.e: [b]InputPin.callback(lambda: +=counter)[\b]

Some uses: Something that counts events that occur at a random interval, such as radioactive decays, cars passing a point, or birds at a feeder. Each event increments an existing integer counter, so no memory allocation is necessary.

The main duty loop of the program then checks this counter whenever it gets around to it, and by dividing by the time interval since the last time, can get a rate before reseting the counter. Since the interval is variable, the ability to know the precise time is critical.

Hence I add my voice for: Support for better time (Jeff Epler)
https://blog.adafruit.com/2020/01/02/jeffs-ideas-for-python-on-hardware-in-2020-time-timekeeping/

Happy New Year!

i03oo3

by digixx on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi,

I started a few month ago using python on Rasperry and now on different CircuitPython hardware.
What I miss is a SD card library which can handle missing cards during init. The current library assumes that the card is always present. My current project is a GPS-Logger for skippers where the data can exported to an SD card when needed.

digixx

by notsec on Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:15 am

would be nice if INA226 could be added (only INA219 is available now) i think it wouldnt be to much work for someone that have done the INA219 to add support for INA226?

notsec

by clolsonus on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:34 am

I think it would would be wonderful to support C++ code under the hood. I don't know all that would be involved (linking libstdc++? build system invokes g++ on .cpp/.cxx files? etc.)

Arduino has great support for writing code in C++ for tiny devices so it must be possible to do without blowing up the size of the compiled code, or the runtime memory usage. This might be out of scope for the current vision of using circuitpython as a playground for learning and prototyping (which is awesome, I'm not complaining.) But going forward, adding support for embedding more C++ code could enable migrating more arduino-style code and drivers to circuitpython and would allow people to make more ambitious projects.

For the long term story arc here: more and more people are going to be building more things with circuitpython. Fewer people are going to be writing pure C/C++ (arduino, etc.) code. Python is already spilling over into real embedded products (or at least I've seen one micropython-based product in the wild.) Supporting C++ extension code will increase the utility of circuitpython and enable far more ambitious projects.

Selfishly, I have a teensy4.0 here that is $20 and can overclock past 1Ghz ... I have a well developed C++ module I'd love to package up for circuitpython, but it would be a huge messy painful effort to back-port to pure-C.

clolsonus

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.