What do I need to get to make an extra large pygamer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What do I need to get to make an extra large pygamer

by lesvaden3 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi all,

I’m wondering if it’s possible for me to create a larger version of pygamer and what kind of components I would have to buy to do that. I’m hoping for something that runs circuit python and the ability to have at least a 5 inch screen and larger buttons, for accessibility and also I just like large screens and large buttons. They’re fun.

I know I would have to build my own enclosure and probably some soldiering. But is it possible? If not, I understand. It’s sort of a weird request.

Thank you

lesvaden3

Re: What do I need to get to make an extra large pygamer

by tannewt on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:14 pm

It is definitely possible! The best place to start is the design files for the original PyGamer: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pygamer/downloads

The trickiest thing is the display. Most large displays use a more complex protocol than the one on pygamer which is why they are only currently supported from raspberry pi. The largest I know of that works with CircuitPython is the one on Titano which is 3.5". It is a featherwing here: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3651

tannewt

by lesvaden3 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 pm

That’s what I was thinking. The display might be a little tough. I ordered the large pyportal and will try to see if it can be attached to some buttons and so forth.

lesvaden3

by lesvaden3 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:09 pm

Thank you for your feedback.

I’m really a bit new to all this Programming and making but I’m enjoying the creativity that is possible with these things. It’s wonderful.

lesvaden3

by tannewt on Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:05 pm

lesvaden3 wrote:Thank you for your feedback.

I’m really a bit new to all this Programming and making but I’m enjoying the creativity that is possible with these things. It’s wonderful.

Awesome! Keep us posted on how it goes. Happy to give more pointers.

We do want to add CircuitPython support for the larger displays but we're not sure when we'll get to it.

tannewt

by lesvaden3 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Are there any checkbox or radio button options for pyportal? Pyoa has a 2 buttons max and I just need another button so much or a checkbox option. I’m trying to make a conditional checklist to cut down on human error. The pyoa is almost perfect for this. But doesn’t have enough buttons.

lesvaden3

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.