Does bluefruitspi support broadcast like the microbit?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Does bluefruitspi support broadcast like the microbit?

by tediog on Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm trying to research if the adafruit_bluefruitspi library would support the same feature that the Microbit has where it can just broadcast (send/receive) packets on 2.4 Ghz. Or is there any other way to do this? really looking for that same radio feature that the microbit has, for room-sized broadcast communication with multiple devices.

This would be using the Bluefruit LE SPI breakout board, driven from a feather.

tediog

Re: Does bluefruitspi support broadcast like the microbit?

by tannewt on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:51 pm

Are you interfacing with existing micro:bits? If you aren't, then you can easily broadcast BLE advertising packets from CircuitPython on the nRF52840.

Unfortunately we can't do raw micro:bit packets at the same time as BLE.

tannewt

by tediog on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Thank you @tannewt!

I don't need to interface with microbit - just inspired by the broadcast functionality, which I need.

I don't actually need the BLE, if I can do the raw packets. Can the raw packets be sent if the BLE isn't active/enabled? The chip obviously supports it ... but is this a firmware thing?

I did see the advertising feature, and thought it might be a possible starting point. I haven't figured out yet how often it transmits. I'm hoping to have 10 devices all broadcasting to each other. Small packets of info, which could be in place of a url I guess. Worried though how many times the same information would get sent, and how frequently, before 10 devices are essentially spamming each other constantly in order to do basic communication this way. Thoughts?

tediog

by tannewt on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:17 pm

We don't support raw packets in CircuitPython. The BLE broadcast packets are pretty low level on their own. We have a radio-compatible API here: https://github.com/ntoll/Adafruit_CircuitPython_Radio The default interval for advertisements is 0.1 seconds and should be modifiable through the API. It also broadcasts on three different channels with the hope of avoiding interference from WiFi and other Bluetooth.

This learn guide uses advertisements to share basic info between multiple devices: https://learn.adafruit.com/hide-n-seek- ... t-ornament

tannewt

by tediog on Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks @tannewt, especially for the learn link. The light bulb ornament demos are interesting. I notice that they don't both send and receive ... each specializes based on their switch setting. Its not clear if you can use the advertisements to both send and receive, so perhaps I have to wait for my hardware to arrive before I can test that.

tediog

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.