Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Clue stopped working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Clue stopped working

by curtissoldano on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:56 am

Hello,

I recently received a CLUE and was stoked. I tested it when I received it and the device initially booted up and the resident program would run...showing sensor data being displayed on screen. I left it unpowered on my desktop while I was traveling for the last 8 days, when I returned home and tried to fire it up, there is no display. The status light blinks red, the Neopixel slowly rotates color as it remains powered and the screen backlight appears to illuminate but no text on screen.

Neopixel starts as green

Left button still beeps when pressed

Bootloader mode reads as FTHR840BOOT

Please advise.
Attachments
IMG_5997.JPG
IMG_5997.JPG (434.94 KiB) Viewed 84 times
IMG_5996.JPG
IMG_5996.JPG (412.62 KiB) Viewed 84 times

curtissoldano

Re: Clue stopped working

by dastels on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:49 am

So it seems to be running. Just with no TFT output.

You could try reseating the display connector.
With the power off. Loosen (they won't come all the way out) the little black clamps at the ends of the long white connector. Jiggle the flat cable and make sure it's in as far as it will go (no force is required), then slide the black clamps back into place while holding the cable.

dastels

by briandbrady on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:41 am

I am having the same issue. Everything seems to be fine except the screen does not display anything. I had mine in a pocket of the bag I carry back and forth to work and it was connected to a AAA battery holder that I thought was off. When I pulled it out today (after being in my bag for two weeks), the battery holder was switched on. I disconnected it from the batter and just powered it off USB. I loaded the sensor display test script and get a green neopixel, but nothing on the screen. No errors in Mu. I like this little guy but am disappointed for the first time with an Adafruit product. I have a Metro M0 and M4, Feather M0 and M4, PyGamer, Circuit Playground Express and Bluefruit, and numerous feathers. I would really like to either get this working or get a replacement. I don't think it was physically damaged in my bag, but cannot confirm.

I just looked at the OP's image and my screen is much closer to the B button that theirs. It is practically touching it. I also noticed when I got it that there was a noticeable gap between the dark screen and the LED backlight at the connector end.

Brian

briandbrady

by dastels on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Mine is still working ok. I fired it up when it arrived, and put it in a drawer. Pulled it out yesterday to work on code/guide for it. So far so good. I will be on the watch for odd behavior. Do remember that it's an alpha product.

Like I said, check the display connector. It sounds the same: it's working but nothing's making it to the screen.

Dave

dastels

by briandbrady on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:19 pm

dastels wrote:Mine is still working ok. I fired it up when it arrived, and put it in a drawer. Pulled it out yesterday to work on code/guide for it. So far so good. I will be on the watch for odd behavior. Do remember that it's an alpha product.

Like I said, check the display connector. It sounds the same: it's working but nothing's making it to the screen.

Dave

Dave, I read your post and checked the connector. Nothing happened. I understand it's alpha. But I just hoped that alpha would not mean that I spent $30 for a device that I cannot use.

briandbrady

by dastels on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Here's to hoping mine starts doing the same thing so I can fiddle with it.

dastels

by curtissoldano on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:47 am

Appreciate the posts. I released the connector, pulled the cable all the way out and re-seated it, locked the connector back in place, same behavior

I was directed to this forum as a part of the return process, I believe I've provided clear problem descriptions and have executed the suggested steps.

I'm interested in getting a replacement asap, please inform of next steps to secure a replacement. Thanks in advance.

curtissoldano

by dastels on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:33 am

OK. Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread, your order number, and request a replacement of one CLUE.

Dave

dastels

by adafruit2 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 am

curtis & brian - please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and request an RMA "FORPHIL" so we can get the CLUE's back if you are in the USA. thanks :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.