Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

FT232H KeyError
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

FT232H KeyError

by parsko on Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi,

I've gone through the FT232H installation via the learning website. My issue is with the KeyError, specifically:

You must do this every time before running circuitpython code, you can set it permanently in windows if you like, for now just type into the same cmd window you're using with Python

set BLINKA_FT232H=1

Why do we need to do this every time? If I am using this on my windows machine to control my volume, do I need to run this everytime I boot my computer? I'm very confused by this. Also, is there a link to "set this permanently", as suggested could be done?

This is the 2nd time I've tried to play with this board, and I think I was stopped by this before too.

Thanks,

-Parsko

parsko

Re: FT232H KeyError

by parsko on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:10 pm

For the record, I did get my FT232H to work via command line to blink an LED, but I'd really like to use it via IDLE, Thonny, or Mu.

-Parsko

parsko

Re: FT232H KeyError

by parsko on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi again,

I tried adding a permanent system environment variable:
BLINKA_FT232H=1

Now, when I try to "import board" from within Python within an administrative rights command prompt, I get the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Users\lparker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\lib\site-packages\board.py", line 32, in <module>
from adafruit_blinka.agnostic import board_id, detector
File "C:\Users\lparker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\lib\site-packages\adafruit_blinka\agnostic\__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
chip_id = detector.chip.id
File "C:\Users\lparker\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\lib\site-packages\adafruit_platformdetect\chip.py", line 30, in id
raise RuntimeError('BLINKA_FT232H environment variable ' + \
RuntimeError: BLINKA_FT232H environment variable set, but no FT232H device found

The FT232H device is plugged in, but I see that I lost the device in the Device Manager. It says that we only have to run the Zadig software once, ever. I had restarted to see if that was perhaps causing me issues before running into this error.

I'm very confused by this board. I would think it would be easier to use. It is coming across as a very bespoke tool one would use in a very specific circumstance based on how easy it is to use (not easy).

I'm very inclined to think I am doing something wrong, otherwise you would not be selling this thing. It's got to be me. I am following the Adafruit instructions exactly. I have a lot of your boards I'm trying to talk to via I2C or SPI, and I don't want to have to use a Raspberry Pi to do so. I need to be able to use a proper Windows computer due to the bespoke Renishaw software I need to use with our interferometer.

-Parsko

parsko

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.