Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

HELP! Can't Unplug JST-PH 2-Pin Battery Connector!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

HELP! Can't Unplug JST-PH 2-Pin Battery Connector!

by Agriculex on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:40 pm

So I purchased the 3G Fona module and a few LiPo Battery through a few Adafruit Resellers. The 3G Fona module from Digikey and LiPo Battery from Canada Robotix. When I plugged in the battery into the JST-PH connector, it took a bit of force. It wasn't too much force but it fit in there tightly. Ran the 3G Fona module with the arduino and it works flawlessly.

However, I can't seem to unplug it now! It was hard to get a good grip on the plug and I even tried with a plier! Even with a good grip, I still have no luck in unplugging the connector. Am I doing something wrong. Adafruit did say they use genuine JST connectors so is it normal to be that tight fit where I'm not sure if I can unplug the connector without pulling out the pin terminal or breaking the wire.

Is there a specific method to unplugging these JST connectors so did I just get a bad sample of these connectors. I've attached a picture of the connector on the 3G Fona Module.
Attachments
IMG_4167.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG (770.97 KiB) Viewed 63 times

Agriculex

Re: HELP! Can't Unplug JST-PH 2-Pin Battery Connector!

by dastels on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:02 pm

It can take a bit of effort. Be gentle, but persuasive. Take the plug by its ears, and hold the jack firmly. Wiglle and pull gently. Don't pull by the wires. It's a solid fit, just take your time.

Dave

dastels

by Agriculex on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:22 pm

It's so tight, it won't even budge when I try to pull and wiggle it. I finally got it to come off by using a small flat-head screwdriver to push the connector. I attached a picture of the process. I used the screwdriver to fit through the slots of the JST Jack and pushed on the connector. That was able to move it and push it out enough for me to grab it by the finger and pull it out.

I didn't realize that the fit would be soo tight that I need this tool to just unplug it. It's kind of annoying.
Attachments
IMG_4169.JPG
IMG_4169.JPG (752.4 KiB) Viewed 55 times

Agriculex

by dastels on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:55 pm

That's odd. I've found that they're definitely snug, but they've never presented that much of a problem... maybe the molding on the one you have is a bit wonky.

Dave

dastels

by jps2000 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:02 pm

There are white connectors around that have a too wide ridge that does not fit the rather small slot in the adafruit sockets.
you can cut away the ridge with a sharp knife . then it works.
Always check the polarity as there are also inverted connectors around. wrong polarity may destroy the board. But it is possible to exchange the inserts of the connector. by lifting a small plastic fin that holds the metal inserts in the plastic connector housing.

jps2000

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.