Adafruit Industries, Essential service and business: NYC – Executive Order 202.6 - Read more.

Clue Display Issues
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Clue Display Issues

by tbortels on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 pm

Howdy. I got my CLUE today, but I think I am seeing a problem others have seen - but I might have some extra info.

Got it up and running, but no display. I added some debug print statements into the Spirit Level demo, and I can see that the code is running fine - just no display.

So, looking around I came to this forum and saw the advice on re-seating the display cable. Did so, and - I see activity, but the display is super-ultra dim. By dim, I mean if I turn off *all* of the lights, I can barely see the circles that the Spirit Level draws.

Pressing gently on the screen near the ribbon cable (as you do) will give more signs of life - but nothing resembling "working". See image - there's an interesting curved artifact that makes me suspect these was some damage to the actual screen - and given the other complaints, maybe you got a bad batch.
sad clue.jpg
sad clue.jpg (909.58 KiB) Viewed 58 times

I am sad, but hey - alpha. But I am hoping to swap it for a working unit - I got a bot that needs a brain. :-)

tbortels

Re: Clue Display Issues

by tannewt on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:18 pm

Yup! Looks like screen damage to me. Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread to get a replacement.

tannewt

by tbortels on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:13 pm

Is there any idea if/when these will be back in stock? I'm kind of in limbo until that happens, and it's an alpha - there's no real guarantee it will ever be back in stock. Just looking for light at the end of the tunnel...

tbortels

by tannewt on Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:33 pm

tbortels wrote:Is there any idea if/when these will be back in stock? I'm kind of in limbo until that happens, and it's an alpha - there's no real guarantee it will ever be back in stock. Just looking for light at the end of the tunnel...

Did you email support? They may have some stashed away for replacements. You could also pick up a new screen (for free, just ask them) while you are waiting: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4520

tannewt

by tbortels on Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:38 am

I did; they told me to order a replacement and gave me code to use, but - no stock. I'm not in a hurry, but if the alpha run is over... yeah. (A new screen sounds interesting, but I am a software guy, so the prospect of replacing the screen and not breaking the rest is something best attempted 20 years ago when I had better vision... it took me a half hour just to try reseating the cable. Big fingers and old eyes do not mix with teensy electronics well.

tbortels

by tannewt on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:05 pm

Bummer! Hopefully there will be more in stock soon. Thanks for your patience.

tannewt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.