Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

PyPortal: No CIRCUITPY Drive
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PyPortal: No CIRCUITPY Drive

by cr2n on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:26 am

I was working on some code and suddenly the CIRCUITPY drive disappeared and I can not reach the drive any more. The TFT screen is black, the green LED is on, not pulsing. The red USB LED is on too, slowly pulsing.
I can reset the board and copy over the pyportal uf2 file but after PORTALBOOT disconnects, CIRCUITPY does not connect or appear.

I am running a Mac Mini with OSx 10.15.3 Catalina.
Using adafruit-circuitpython-pyportal-en_US-5.0.0.uf2
I downloaded the uf2 file again just in case my copy was somehow corrupt - no change.
I restarted the Mac and no change - I can reach PORTALBOOT after 2x clicking the reset button but then CIRCUITPY does not appear after copying over the uf2 file, again.
I also deleted all file contents (current.uf2, index.htm, info_uf2.txt), then copied over the uf2 file -still no change of behaviour and those 3 files were restored.

At the terminal, I also do not see the pyportal usbmodem device using command "ls /dev/tty* "

I was experimenting with circuitpython sockets at the time and this occurred after uploading a code.py that I was troubleshooting. Unfortunately, I did not save a copy to my local drive so I can not share all the code. I know the code was broken and was failing at a line where I forgot to add () after the function call when I last uploaded code.py. In my code.py, I declared an INET socket then the code failed at these lines. As I was troubleshooting, I added the first line below about line 12 of the file and I think this is when the device stopped working:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
socket.active
socket.listen(4)

I appreciate any suggestions how to troubleshoot further. I only have a USB connector, at this time.

cr2n

Re: PyPortal: No CIRCUITPY Drive

by cr2n on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:29 am

I should mention also that when I plug in the device, there is no boot sequence on screen. The device green LED turns on.
IF I reset the device, I then get the glowing red LED until the PROTALBOOT drive is disconnected.

cr2n

by tannewt on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:54 pm

Does the red LED only show when the *BOOT drive is showing? What does the neopixel show otherwise?

Could you post a picture of the board?

tannewt

by tannewt on Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:54 pm

Specifically a picture of the back of the board, not the screen.

tannewt

by cr2n on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Hello
This is the board when the PORTALBOOT drive is not mounted
NoDrive.jpg
NoDrive.jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 64 times

This is the board when I first plug it in and the PORTALBOOT drive is mounted. The red LED is "breathing" so to speak, gradually increasing and decreasing in brightness, repeatedly.
PortalBoot.jpg
PortalBoot.jpg (107.07 KiB) Viewed 64 times

Strangely, this morning, When I eject the PORTALBOOT drive from the OS Finder window, the drive removes itself and then immediately reconnects. I don't recall it doing that last night.

cr2n

by tannewt on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:41 pm

It sounds to me that CircuitPython isn't correctly flashed after the bootloader. Slow red breathing LED along with green neopixel is the bootloader successfully connected to USB.

Try re-downloading the PyPortal UF2 and installing it. Maybe even try an older version if 5.0.0 doesn't work.

If that still doesn't work please post current.uf2 from the bootloader in a zip file. It'll include the contents of the flash and we can compare it to what it should be.

Thanks!

tannewt

by cr2n on Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm

THANK YOU
I downloaded version 4.1 uf2 and this brought back CIRCUITPY drive. I changed code.py to a simple print("Hello") and this successfully compiled.

I then reset PyPortal and applied 5.0-rc1 uf2 successfully and have CIRCUITPY drive.

Finally, I applied my previous project before I had gone tinkering with sockets etc and everything is back to where it was.

Cheers!

cr2n

by tannewt on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Great! Does it work now with 5.0.0? It should be the same as 5.0.0-rc.1.

tannewt

by cr2n on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:58 am

Yes the 5.0.0.uf2 version also works. I just applied it now and no issues. I must have done something unaware to cause my issue while tinkering with socket code. Thank you for helping me recover!!

cr2n

by tannewt on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:55 pm

No problem! I'm glad it works!

tannewt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.