Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

build failure on windows 10 WSL Ubuntu 14.04
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

build failure on windows 10 WSL Ubuntu 14.04

by johncblacker on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Trying to build from the latest sources for board nrf52840 and get the following error:
*** No rule to make target 'extmod/ulab/code/create.c', needed by 'build-feather_nrf52840_express/genhdr/qstr.i.last'. Stop.

Also, tried make V=1 BOARD=feather_m4_express and get same error.

Followed the directions for building on the Adafruit website.

johncblacker

Re: build failure on windows 10 WSL Ubuntu 14.04

by tannewt on Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:44 pm

Did you remember to update submodules? Last two lines in the top block here: https://learn.adafruit.com/building-cir ... -build-6-1

tannewt

by johncblacker on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:17 am

Yes, I performed those steps. Just to be sure, though, I re-did them and the second step did absolutely nothing...so, do I have to start over with cloning the repository?
Since that seems like the only other thing I could do...I'm going to give that a try. My internet connection is slow at times thanks to all the traffic these days.

johncblacker

by johncblacker on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:43 am

Well, the internet is still extremely slow; but I managed to get a little further. I deleted the circuitpython repository on my system and started over from scratch. I had to run:
git submodule update --init several times before it finally ran and did nothing. So then I tried another make of the feather_m4_express and got this:
jobla@JohnDesktop:~/circuitpython/ports/atmel-samd$ make V=1 BOARD=feather_m4_express
GEN build-feather_m4_express/genhdr/mpversion.h
GEN autogen_usb_descriptor.intermediate
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "../../tools/gen_usb_descriptor.py", line 8, in <module>
from adafruit_usb_descriptor import audio, audio10, cdc, hid, midi, msc, standard, util
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'adafruit_usb_descriptor'
../../supervisor/supervisor.mk:186: recipe for target 'autogen_usb_descriptor.intermediate' failed
make: *** [autogen_usb_descriptor.intermediate] Error 1

So, looks like something is still missing and don't know how to resolve the problem. The git submodule update --init ran without doing anything so I figured everything was finally merged, but I guess not. Now what to do?

johncblacker

by johncblacker on Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:47 am

Oh, also tried git pull following the above error and response was "Already up to date." !!

johncblacker

by johncblacker on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:05 pm

I'm getting closer. My latest attempt at build failed producing the uf2 file. So, I went into the circuitpython/tools/uf2 directory and it was empty; this is the same circumstance I found in the usb_descriptor directory. So, I issued a git clone https://github.com/adafruit/uf2.git and it asked me for a username for github, then it asked me for a password. Not sure if I should be using my username or one that is associated with the "adafruit" circuitpython .git...?

johncblacker

by johncblacker on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Well, proud of myself - got er done! Found that the git repository for uf2 was Microsoft, not Adafruit. So, changed my git clone and then did my make and it completed without errors!
Now, is it any good? Don't know until I try it. I'll also retry my nrf52840 build and see what kind of issues I run into, if any. What I didn't realize is that when I was doing the individual "git clone(s)" that I have to be in the base directory that they belonged in. So, all-in-all I have to issue individual git clones for IRRemote, usb_descriptor and finally uf2 because these kept failing when I issued the git submodule update --init; however, the directories were being created although they were empty!

Damn internet is so slow that the git clones were failing, unable to resolve github.com, yet the directories were being created empty. Anyway, looks like I'm well on my way and just have to load the circuitpython.uf2 I just built to the board and see if it works...

johncblacker

by johncblacker on Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:05 pm

So, I ended up with circuipython having a hard crash and going into safe mode when running my previously working code.py program - just displays several shapes on the ili9341 display. I changed the name of the code.py to newcode.py so it wouldn't run and after reload I have a pulsing green light. I tried doing a file upload of the code.py, but it wouldn't work.
Attachments
code.txt
original code.py that caused circuitpython to crash
(2.12 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

johncblacker

by johncblacker on Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:03 pm

I did a make clean, then another build but I still get a hard crash with the display program; however, a simple blinky program does work OK...hmmmmmmmm!

johncblacker

by johncblacker on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:12 pm

Sun: 4/19......
Found out that most of the problems performing git submodule update --init was because it kept getting hung-up "resolving host github.com." So, I updated my WSL hosts file with the IP address of github.com and started all over from scratch again. I totally removed the circuitpython directory, cloned the repository, then did the git submodules.... stuff. Then I did a make BOARD=feather_m4_express. Before I moved it over to the board, I flashed the board with the pre-built version 5.2.0 version, then ran my program which is simply displaying a sprite of blinky on the ili9341 attached to the board. With the pre-built binary the program ran fine. Next I installed the firmware that I built and when it tried to run the code.py that displayed the blink sprite, it did a "hard crash." So, I'm at a loss. The latest sources that I'm building from are release 5.2.0-95...... Obviously there have been changes to the sources since the binary was produced, so I can only conclude there are problems with it.
Attachments
code.txt
Small program to display the blinky sprite on ili9341
(826 Bytes) Downloaded 6 times

johncblacker

by tannewt on Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Glad you got the submodule stuff sorted out! You can check out the 5.2.0 tag and see if your compiled version works ok.

Another thing to check is what version of GCC you are using. That shouldn't lead to a hard crash though.

tannewt

by johncblacker on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 pm

OK, I think I mentioned that I cloned the 5.2.0 branch, did my build and all works OK. It's just when I clone from the master branch that I get the hard crash. If you've got a test system to work with you might try v5.2.0-95 (which I believe is the master branch) and give my script a try on it...see what happens.

johncblacker

by markolsson on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:49 pm

I've built it from master, can you test with the attached file.

// Mark
Attachments
firmware.uf2
feather_m4_express
(707.5 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

markolsson

by tannewt on Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Looks like we've reproduced this. (Follow along on Discord: https://adafru.it/discord ) Thanks for the heads up!

tannewt

by jepler on Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi, and thank you for your report.

I introduced this bug you ran into. A fix is in the works. You can check out the pull request here: https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/pull/2797

Thanks so much for letting us know you ran into this problem. It prevented us from sending out the next release candidate with this new bug!

jepler

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.