Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Circuit Python and Visual Studio Code
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Circuit Python and Visual Studio Code

by diggee17 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:29 pm

I have been playing around with CircuitPython on my CPB using Mu. Things are going well but I wanted to try a better IDE. I use Visual Studio Code for regular python so I thought I could use it for CircuitPython as well. I used an extension which I found for CircuitPython and it seems to work OK for a simple program like "Hello World" on the CPB but it doesn't seem to find the CircuitPython LIB which is on the board. I get an error on the input like:
E:\>C:/Users/YayaLenovoFlex/AppData/Local/Programs/Python/Python37-32/python.exe e:/code.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "e:/code.py", line 5, in <module>
from adafruit_circuitplayground import cp
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'adafruit_circuitplayground.

The code is
# My test based on button A example
"""This example turns on the little red LED when button A is pressed."""
import time

from adafruit_circuitplayground import cp

while True:
if cp.button_a:
print("Button A pressed!")
cp.red_led = True
if cp.button_b:
print("Button B pressed!")
cp.red_led = False
time.sleep(.5)

Unfortunately I don't know anything about JSON. I'm just doing a few examples trying to learn.Can anyone help me?

Thanks

diggee17

Re: Circuit Python and Visual Studio Code

by tannewt on Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 pm

It looks like VS Code is trying to run your code.py on your laptop. This won't work because the CircuitPlayground library doesn't work on laptops.

I don't know much about the extension so I can't give specific instructions. You should be able to open code.py off the CIRCUITPY drive into VS Code and save it directly. When doing that I usually use a separate serial app but the VS Code extension may already integrate that.

tannewt

Re: Circuit Python and Visual Studio Code

by diggee17 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:45 pm

thanks. It does ask about the COM port but it just doesn't see the libraries. I think I need to make a change to the .vscode file but I haven't a clue what it needs.

diggee17

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.