Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is part of the Stop Hate for Profit campaign. Adafruit is open and shipping.

Pygamer - charging LiPo battery
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pygamer - charging LiPo battery

by JKD on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:38 pm

HI

Just starting using my Pygamer with a Lipo battery plugged into the JST connector on the rear.

According to my research the Pygamer should charge the battery when micro USB is plugged in, and the CHG led should light up to show it is doing this - even with the Pygamer turned off?

So far , no matter what power source i plug into the Micro USB or if the Pygamer is on or off this LED does not light up .

Any suggestions as to what may be happening gratefully received

Stay Safe !!

JKD

Re: Pygamer - charging LiPo battery

by dastels on Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:32 am

Double check the battery wires (the orientation of black/red). They should be like https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/76833.

Your USB cable powers the PyGamer?

Dave

dastels

by JKD on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:10 am

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back to me ...

Yes my battery is connected in the way shown in your picture & the usb powers the Pygamer fine

I left the USB connected all night but the battery did not appear to get any charge.

I have tested the battery on another device & it seems fine so this morning i connected a usb charge meter between the battery & the socket , which registered 0 current going into the battery even after being connected for over 1 hour

I am now fairly confident that the charging circuit / chip on the Pygamer is not working ?

Not a major problem as i can always charge the battery using an external Lipo charger and i have the Pygamer tethered to the computer for programming 99% of the time anyway!

Looking forward to further details of the Pygamer Advanced!!

Thanks for your help again

Take Care & Stay Safe

JKD

by dastels on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:33 am

Yes, it definitely sounds like a problem in the charger.

Does anything around the USB connector look missing or misaligned compared to that photo I linked?

Let's get you a replacement eventually. Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one PyGamer.
Alas, I have no idea when shipping will happen given the current situation.

At least you can play around with it for now, even if charging is inconvenient.

Dave

dastels

by JKD on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:10 am

Hi Dave

Everything looks , as is usual with Adafruit equipment , to be 100% fine

Thanks for the replacement offer but if that is the road i decide to go down i will have to liaise with my local supplier ( as i live in the UK )

As things stand at the moment I am thinking to just live with it as it is not really that much of a problem and does not detract in any way from the fun i am having learning to program it.

The Pygamer has , for me , become my joint favourite Adafruit product in my collection ( along with the CPX ) , although i have a sneaking suspicion they will both be joined by the Clue once i can get my paws on one !

My Thanks Again

JKD

by dastels on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 am

Have fun!

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.