Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality.

Using ampy vs mpfshell
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Using ampy vs mpfshell

by zoom42 on Sat May 02, 2020 1:34 pm

My experience of using ampy (1.0.7) vs mpfshell (0.9.1) to perform operations over a USB-UART connected to an ESP32 using micropython is that ampy leaves the serial connection in a state where one can then connect via a terminal app (Putty, screen, minicom, etc.) and get the REPL prompt. When I try to do the same after using mpfshell, I cannot get to the REPL prompt. This is true when connecting from both Windows and Debian environments from a laptop and Raspberry Pi. I'm using python 3.7.4 on both platforms and a recent build of stable micropython.

mpfshell is so ubiquitous and even the README on the ampy github page recommends it for more complex operations, I am thinking what I am experiencing this due to my use. What am I doing wrong with my mpfshell connections that I cannot afterwards use a terminal program to get to the REPL prompt?

Thanks to the authors of ampy for the great software and

Thanks for your time.

zoom42

Re: Using ampy vs mpfshell

by siddacious on Thu May 07, 2020 4:49 pm

I don't have any experience with either tool so I can't help directly however it would help others help you if you share the following:
* the exact commands that you're running
* information about your setup (what's plugged into what and how)
* what you're expecting to happen
* what is actually happening including the full text of any error messages you're getting

If you haven't already you might want to also post the above information on the micropython forum here as I think there's more micropython users there so it's more likely someone can help you there.

https://forum.micropython.org/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=5138b7f23b1511aa075135172682a4e7

siddacious

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.