Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

A quick example of nvm usage?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

A quick example of nvm usage?

by chjade84 on Sat May 02, 2020 3:27 pm

I've spent the last hours trying to figure out how to save variables between power cycles and finally discovered the nvm module. My M0 basic I'm using at the moment for developing doesn't support it but I have a nRF52840 Express in the mail that does, so I'll wait for that to arrive.

As someone new to Python and CircuitPython (and coding in general), is there a simple guide on how to use it effectively? It looks like it uses a bytearray which presumably is an array; something that's always confused me a little bit. I'm just looking to store my user-set variables in the event of a power loss.

Thanks!

chjade84

Re: A quick example of nvm usage?

by danhalbert on Sat May 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes, it's just a byte array, so if you're just storing byte-sized values or booleans or similar, you can write them directly. Otherwise check out the `struct` module (same as in regular Python), which lets you pack and unpack values into byte strings: https://docs.python.org/3/library/struct.html

danhalbert

by chjade84 on Sun May 03, 2020 12:29 pm

I will take a look, thanks! I vaguely remember struct from C++ back in my college days; wonder if that will be helpful in understanding at all, lol.

chjade84

by kevinjwalters on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:36 pm

There's an example of nvm being used in Adafruit Learn: CLUE Altimeter. BTW, I'm not sure if that code deals with initialising the value before it's read for the first time by the code but that might be getting an update RSN.

kevinjwalters

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.