Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

PyPortal - Disable Readonly To Update Libraries?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PyPortal - Disable Readonly To Update Libraries?

by Devin82m on Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 am

Hello, how do I disable Readonly mode on my PyPortal so I can update the libraries? I've tried rebooting the PyPortal numerous times, tried storage commands in the RPEL, and tried permissions on my machine. I can access the serial and I can update code.py, but nothing in the lib directory, it all shows read only and I can't seem to change it. I did update the boot loader Circuit Python 5.3, I updated the ESP32 firmware, yet what is supposed to be one of the easiest things is the most difficult for me. I have also looked through 30 pages worth of documentation, all over learn.adafruit and elsewhere and see some mentions of the readonly thing, but nothing that helps turn it off so I can copy libraries or delete libraries. The Adafruit documentation is kind of all over the place and confusing, I'm a professional DevOps Engineer and write a lot of docs, they need one central documentation sources and they need to go through and remove all other related docs elsewhere. I'm still new to all this, but I'm trying to learn and research/troubleshoot issues before asking for help, but this has become annoying at this point.

I use Manjaro Linux as my OS. I also have yet to get Mu-Editor working with a PyQt5.Qsci error, even though it is installed and I have reinstalled it...

Does anyone have any suggestions about the read only issue?

Devin82m

Re: PyPortal - Disable Readonly To Update Libraries?

by jerryn on Fri May 29, 2020 4:34 am

If your PyPortal CIRCUITPY drive is mounted “readonly” then it is likely corrupted.
Back up all files before proceeding.

After saving any files from your device, open a terminal session to the REPL
Then as described here https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython/troubleshooting?preview_token=WsdVgHQVBTr9iHLerIfyWA#easiest-way-use-storage-dot-erase-filesystem-2987288-24
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
import storage
storage.erase_filesystem()

This will erase everything on your CIRCUITPY drive an recreate it.

Reload your files.

Good luck!

jerryn

by Devin82m on Fri May 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks! That fixed it. I thought about trying that but decided not to thinking nuking the drive was a bad thing. I learned something new.

Devin82m

by jerryn on Fri May 29, 2020 3:28 pm

Glad it worked -- As long as you have backups, wiping the File system is not a problem. They can get corrupted. Especially if not finished writing to the drive before unplugging. Make sure you unmount/eject safely,

jerryn

by Devin82m on Fri May 29, 2020 5:19 pm

That makes sense. Will do, thanks again.

Devin82m

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.